What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UV light

• Thread starter raci22
  • Start date
Hi there
In my set up I am using the same water again and again, which I know is very wrong. Because if that water get contaminate the sickness will spread even faster. I was thinking to sterilize this water with UV light. I know that UV light can change harmless oxygen to ozone which is very dangerous to the plants as I have find out in a past. Do you think can I sterilize water this way and can I use this water for plants?
Thanks for your help

Raci

You could try boiling the water?

I wouldn't worry about it until you actually start experiencing problems.

The UV will clean up any pathogens and single celled plants/animals, but it will do nothing to remove the build up of minerals in the water.
IMVHO....don't re-use the water.

The UV will clean up any pathogens and single celled plants/animals, but it will do nothing to remove the build up of minerals in the water.
IMVHO....don't re-use the water.

I agree, but the water isn't totally useless. You can still keep it around to raise the humidity, or water other plants with. It's not trash water suddenly...

In my LL terrarium I start with bottled water, which goes under the plants' raised shelf-with-holes. I reuse the water with a turkey baster, and after each watering session, I usually give the house plants a few squirts out of the terrarium. This way I'm always bleeding off water, and adding new pure water.

I dunno, I haven't noticed any negative effects on my recirculating minibog. I water change once a year at most, otherwise I just top off what's already in there. The argument could easily be made that it's currently in its prime... everything just exploded and is in bloom. For sure, nothing seems pissed off by the re-use of the water in there.

Back