What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kitkor's small bog garden

I put this bog garden in a couple years ago and it's taking a while to mature. The early warm weather in Ohio has provided me with ideal outdoor temperatures to go trim all the dead material so now it looks nice and neat.

There are just Sarracenia in here. The feline in the background provides security, protecting the plants from pesky tree rats.

Bog garden by Kitkor, on Flickr

I'll be sure to update as the season goes on.

Very nice! Love the cat in the background. Working on getting moss to grow in my bog. What sarrs are those? Looks like you need some flytraps and dews in there...I can hook you up with some if interested. :-D

Thanks! Despite the vigilance of the cat, the tree rats do make off with anything that doesn't have a decent root system. I have plenty of sundews and VFTs, but they get carried away quickly. But thanks for the offer!

I have some of the usual suspects in there - 'Dana's Delight' and 'Tarnok' - along with S. purpurea (which has been neglected a bit), S. alata, S. alata × oreophila and a few others that I forget at the moment.

Hope you post pics of it this summer, would love to see it. We have squirrls that like to take the rhizomes and dig in the bog, but the dog is pretty good at keeping them at bay.

Is that a catus garden in the background?

i like it, can't wait to get mine replanted

more trouble here with blue jays than tree rats or the masked bandits

Nice. I'm just starting out with Sarracenias and have a few too. I really like them. Good for your cat. I hate those things.

Nice........cat!

Yea! Nice plants....
but LOVE your Kitty!

Awesome! How did you get the moss to grow? Any tricks?

I am going to try a bog garden this summer, and I would love some sphagnum moss.

Will

will you can find sphagnum moss around michigan.

I am highly objected to wild collection of any plant so I purchase mine from Meadowview. If you donate $50+ you can get all their plants half off! I find this very helpful, you can get a gallon size bag of it for $7.50.

Thanks, all. I love the kitty, too. She's a princess and she knows it. And thankfully, the only indoor plants she's ever decided are tasty were the common Dracaena.

Awesome! How did you get the moss to grow? Any tricks?

I am going to try a bog garden this summer, and I would love some sphagnum moss.

Will

Will, I had no experience growing Sphagnum of any kind. It seemed to thrive on its own once I laid it down and and kept it wet. I didn't have quite enough to cover the entire area with, but it is spreading pretty quickly. Best advice would be to buy a bag of it from Meadowview, lay it down and keep it wet. It should do the rest. I think one of the best examples of a series of images from a bog garden in my climate are found here: http://www.***********terrariumsupply.com/How-to-grow-CPs-in-an-outdoor-Bog-Garden-_ep_79.html
Good luck!

Thanks for the help! I have seen sphagnum growing in the wild here (Mud Lake Bog).

I always get my plants from Meadowview! I just got a bag of sphagnum moss from them a few months ago, and am now propogating it.

Thanks again, I will be sure to make a thread this summer about progress.

Will

Back