What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is 55 gallon good for a terrarium?

Thanks. The seal is chewed and missing in some places, but I don't think it will be a problem since I know better than to fill it with water. Now I need to expand the size of my stand.

Oh BTW, I have some of the clear tall square pots like in your photo. I guess they're good for nepenthes. I had bought them for seed starting of other plants but I guess they're good for neps too huh?

Since we're concerned about growing out, what intermediate and highland plants would you recommend for this?

Oh that tank looks awesome :) and for 25 bucks only!
You can buy a cheap clear silicone adhesive in harbor freight to fix the leaks. Dries pretty quick as well.

Thanks. I'm glad you like it. And thanks for the tip. I'll look into that.

Thanks. The seal is chewed and missing in some places, but I don't think it will be a problem since I know better than to fill it with water. Now I need to expand the size of my stand.

Oh BTW, I have some of the clear tall square pots like in your photo. I guess they're good for nepenthes. I had bought them for seed starting of other plants but I guess they're good for neps too huh?

Since we're concerned about growing out, what intermediate and highland plants would you recommend for this?

I'm actually only using one clear plastic pot that I know of... Most of mine are black, blue or net pots. I don't think you will find much of a difference either way though. The only big difference is net pots dry out faster and roots and sphagnum can grow out of them.

Well I would definitely recommend either small growing or slow growing plants. Some of the really slow highlanders will stay small for a long time such as N. lowii, N. macrophylla, N. edwardsiana, N, villosa, N. aristolochioides. Of course they would someday out-grow the tank if you do everything well but the journey to that point could take many years. :D

As far as smaller species go, I would suggest N. glabrata, N. jacquelineae, N. tenuis, N. jamban. Some of those could also outgrow a tank, but they are smallish in general. N. hamata is somewhat compact for along time until it vines wildly. Hybrids with N. bellii could be on the small side of things too, and do better in an intermediate/lowland setting.

Sadly I found this out about net pots last year. I ordered some very nice lowlands and I got sick and when I was well enough to be up again they were dead and brown. No more net pots. They came in net pots but those are good for water plants only as far as I'm concerned. So disapointing.

Hehe, thanks for the advice. All those you recommended are either rare and/or expensive. I've heard Jamban does well as a house plant. Do you have any experience with Tentaculata? I really like that plant. I got my first hamata the about three weeks ago. It's doing well just opening the first pitcher under my care and opening a new leaf. I love the look of glabrata, but after reading the thread with everyone's problems I'm having second toughts on that one.

I realized they were all rare and expensive after I got done listing them. :lol:

I've not had any experience with N. tentaculata but from what I know it is much like hamata in growth requirements, size and such. Definitely a handsome looking species and I'm sure it is much cheaper than hamata.

When I was growing N. glabrata I didn't find it all that hard. It growed rather steadily for me and pitchered most of the time. The only reason I don't have them anymore is because I had a bad mite infestation and they got eaten alive. :( :cry:

I would definitely give glabrata a go. Just keep the humidity up and the nights low, it's a lovely species.

I know lowii is afordable. Finding it though is another matter. I'd love to have one. Perhaps my favorite highland. I'll keep that in mind about glabrata. It's tempting. Love the red on yellow.

I know lowii is afordable. Finding it though is another matter. I'd love to have one. Perhaps my favorite highland. I'll keep that in mind about glabrata. It's tempting. Love the red on yellow.

There's a nice looking seed-grown available on one of the other forums right now...

Ok, it's finally set up. I had to rebuild my stand too.

Tops shelf and stand is done by Thagirion3, on Flickr

My new stand all built. I'm thrilled with the colors.

Tank in place by Thagirion3, on Flickr

Tank placed on top. I left an over hang in the back for extra shelf space.

Nepenthes tank by Thagirion3, on Flickr

With the mist on.

New Nepenthes tank. Happy Plants by Thagirion3, on Flickr

Mist settling. Still a few things I want to do like build a shelf so I can have more plants in the back and I'd love to set up some kind of waterfall in the back left croner. I just can't think of any designs using PVC. I have a small pump I 'd like to use of this. But no ideas.

awesome setup! i love it's design.

Thanks Mike and Heli. It's nice to come home to this now.
Anyone have any advice on building a simple waterfall?

idk how many plants you want but the waterfalls no matter the simplicity take up some space, you can prob find cheep garden ones at yard sales then use it or the pump and make something. i had one i made using tupper wear dishes as resevoir than had stones (shale) stacked over it then moss around the dish to hide it the pump i got from a small coffee table water thing. you can kinda go anyway you want if you plan on making one.

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 PM ----------

o yea by the way the setup looks awsome i love tanks. :)

Thanks Rball. Some of those small table top foutains are so over priced. I've been looking on Ebay. Crazy. I like the sound of falling water so was thinking of something tiered but that may be too complex for my abilities. Yard sales may be a good idea.
Thanks. I'm gald you like it.

Lookin' good, Thag!

Thanks Mato. It's relaxing to sit in front of. It will be in next month's video update for sure.

Back