User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Greenhouse for Highlanders in FL? I need your expertise... Thanks in advance!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pineapple is in California and the humidity out there is nothing compared to what it is here. I don't have a greenhouse but I do not think they would work well unless you have a giant one. The point it to take cooler air from outside that's dry wet it and make it cool by passing through the cardboard filters. But if the air's already hot and wet it kind of defeats the purpose. I'm also concerned about just how shady will it be. I was considering putting some of my neps under some big oaks but realized it's probably too dark. If you're going to go with an outdoor greenhouse I'd stick to lowlanders. You just have to keep it from over heating. It's ok to let it go in the 90's but you'll still need an AC to keep it from going over that. I wouldn't let it go over 93 if possible. The outdoor humidity works for itself especially in the summer though right now during the day the humidity has been around 30-40%. At night it's perfect and it is too in the morning from 70-100. Don't worry the humid days are not far though. The problem is bringing in the lowlanders during our 3 month winter.

If you want highlanders it's best to grow them inside with AC and a humidifier. You could build a chamber or dedicate a whole room to it. I actually want to build an indoor greenhouse on my patio out of PVC. I'm buying the pieces slowly over time. I keep the few HLers I have in a fridge at night.

If you can get out to Sarasota check out Marie Selby Botanical Gardens. Ask one of the staff about the greenhouse. Perhaps they can help. They have a giant swamp cooler. I got a video of it here

It's a 14 minute video but the swamp cooler is at the beginning. I think I go to inside the greenhouse at the very end if you want to skip to that. I did buy a swampcooler for a chamber I was going to build inside. It said it would drop the temps 20 degrees. It didn't work. It was more like a fan and now I think it's because of the humidity. Inside my house it's about 40-60% so I can grow intermediates well inside provided there's enough light.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thagirion I'm going to stick to Lowland N. outside in the greenhouse then. I want to provide the right care for the plants. I think your idea of an inside GH for HL is good and easier to maintained. I'd look into that. I may be able to do it in the office.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds good. Office are nice and cold from what I've seen and very bright. You'd only have to worry about humidity. They do sell little humidifiers you could use in an out of the way corner. I'll be looking on craigs list soon for a slightly used but working window unit soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way I wanted to share a few recent pics of my CP's

N. robcantleyi & N. lowii x truncata on my south west window room set up

n.robcantleyi new pitcher on its way. its been in my care for a month now.

& this is my N. lowii x truncata "Wide peristome" from Tony

This is y front pond and you can see in the upper left my lowland N. miranda now starting to make pitchers and bottom left my tray of Sarracenia's Drosera filiformis and VFT's Hope you guys enjoyed. sorry for the bad picture quality.

Last edited by Favian; 05-28-2012 at 06:34 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh lovely little plants. What a nice start to your collection. Wish I had a robcantleyi. And I got a lowii x truncata wide from him too. If our plants turn out to be opposite genders in the future we should cross them. That's a very nice little stand you made. Could you show a pic of the base? Is it PVC? That would be something I'd like to try and make.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i love my robs and truncata crosses They look nice, hope ur rob colors up nicely for ya.

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice! Ya it would probably be best to have a lowland GH outside.

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thagirion I made a regular square base and used a drilled bit to put the PVC tubes and then made another hole on the PVC and hooked the rebar and then i just painted everything white. the base is in top of a coffee table and I put the Humidifier under it I gladly trade pollen if our plants our opposite genders "fingers crossed" & thank you for the compliments!

& thank you mylesG! & thanks you lance

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12