User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greenhouse for Highlanders in FL? I need your expertise... Thanks in advance!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greenhouse for Highlanders in FL? I need your expertise... Thanks in advance!

Hello guys,

After getting one highlanders and one intermedia Nepenthes I want to get a greenhouse so that I can add more highlanders to my collection. I posted a picture below of a 7x10 GH. I've been reading a lot in this forum and apparently temperatures in the summer in FL will get too hot for highlanders if kept in a GH? I have a huge fence backyard I have a big shaded area. I was wondering if putting the greenhouse in the shade would be better for HL Nepenthes instead of putting the GH on the open full sun? I was putting automatic opening vents and an ac unit to drop temperature at night. I don't know if a swampcooler will help lower day temps, but I am afraid of mold, since here in Fl humidity is very high in summer. I love highlanders and I don't want to put a greenhouse that after all the work and time invested will still not be able to accommodate HL. Any advice and input will be greatly appreciated it.

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The swamp cooler cools really well if the greenhouse is in shade for me. In the sun, the swamp cooler will just keep it at the outside air temperature. If you want a cooler greenhouse, put it in bright indirect sunlight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the input Pineapple, good to know

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A swamp cooler may not be efficient enough to provide sufficient cooling given the higher humidity of Florida.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will be extremely expensive to cool a GH in FL to levels where HL Nepenthes will be comfortable and happy. LLers will probably almost grow themselves in your climate.

If you are dead set on HLers take into consideration the cost of properly setting up and running a HL GH in a hot climate. One wall will need to be large exhaust fans blowing out of the building and the opposite wall will need to be a drip system or other louvered cooling/humidifying system. This alone may not be enough in FL, It works for the HL orchid & Nepenthes house at the orchid shop but we're in Minnesota. You may need to add some sort of air conditioning unit(s) to get daytime temps down to 75*F every day. Temperatures OVER 80*F during the days and 50*F at night and most true HL Nepenthes will become unhappy and weaken and eventually start to die off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    O_0 ugh*

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I think those temp ranges are a major misconception...

I have a HL greenhouse, as you probably know, and I moved all of my Nepenthes out before I had the swamp cooler hooked up to outside air. That was during the really hot days of May. It was at around 94F/<30% humidity one day and all of the highlanders were fine and continued to pitcher. Another day it got up to 90F. One night it got below 48F because the weather said it would be 50F so I didn't have the heater on and it was incorrect... I think if you stay between 45F and 85F, HL will thrive. 90F for many consecutive days may cause issues. My local nep store said their greenhouse got to 105F back in April when it was 90F outside. All highlanders in the collection were fine.

I do have to say, when the humidity was low for some of those days around 30% (I didn't have the swamp cooler hooked up to outside air) the lids on some intermediate pitchers wilted, like boschiana x mira and vogelii... But now that it stays in the 60%s in the day, they love it.

What I'm saying is you have more room for error than you think. Ultrahighlanders like rajah or villosa may croak in hotter temps, but highland/intermediates will be flexible. It's not a good thing to keep them above 85F though... Just my experience however.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see, here in St Pete FL, temperatures are always in the 90's in the summer & since I live close to the beach humidity isn't too high. I guess my best choice will be install the GH by the shaded area and only grow lowland & intermedia nepenthes. a lot of the intermedia's I've seen are beautiful. whats the night drops for intermedia? around 70 or 65? I should be able to leave the green house on the 90's as long as humidity is high? would a misting and fog system help with that?

Thank you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast