What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

my new sundew enclosure (updated)

o im in the process of building a sundew home and all thats left is my lighting. It's inner dimensions are 15.5 inches deep, 43 inches long, and 7 inches high. I have it lined with polished white vynil, ( like bathtub material) and covered with 1/8 inch clear plastic to keep in humidity. My main question is for lighting i have purchased a new workshop area lighting system. It holds six (6) 48" t-8 bulbs within the dimensions of 48" x 16.75". The bulbs that I purchased deliver the following specs from each bulb.
lumens- 2750
kelvin temp- 6500k
watts- 32 (t-8)
Color rendering indew- 82

So do you guys think this will be enough light for roughly 6 square feet and roughly how far away from the plants should I keep the lighting unit? The last question is will i have to harden the plants off to the increased light as if i was putting them out into sunshine for the first time?
16,500 lumens
a kelvin temp of 6500k
256 watts combined
a color rendering unit number of 82. ( from what I have read on the forum this only matters to the human eye, but still wanted to add here)

My thinking is this has to be better than the previous setup consisting of-
5900 lumens
the kelvin temps 36 inches of 6500 and 96 inches of 5000
110 watts combined
color rendering index- 92
Thanks guys

Last edited:
With that much light you can probably go for 6-12 inches above the tops of the pots. What are you going to grow that needs that much humidity? If you're not growing tropicals like petiolaris sundews you can just go with ambient humidity unless your ambient RH is chronically <=20%. Heat build up is another concern.

I'm growing capensis, spat, and just common ones like that. The unit is in my basement so humidity should be around 50-60%, I will have to test it. The temp and humidity seem to stay the same year-round down there so I figured it would make care easier.

With humidity levels like that an enclosure isn't really needed. Given the species you listed if the temperatures are between 85°F and 50°F they should be very happy. You'll have a lot less problems without an enclosure - less chance of fungus, easier to move and feed the plants etc. You will have to feed them when growing indoors. Also if they are open they'll catch the stray fly or whatever that gets in the basement. And they're easier to see rather than through some fogged up plastic :)

Happy Growing!

Back