What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sarr_X's minibog

Yep, looks like either aphid or thrip damage.

crap....:crap:

what shal i do?!? my poor tarnok!:cry:

spray it with byer 3 in 1

Looks like the damage from one or more of the juice sucking pests - spider mites, aphids, mealybugs, scale or thrips. Identifying which would indicate which pesticide/miticide to use.

Aphids, scale & mealybugs - a systemic insecticide like Bayer Advanced Rose and Flower Insect Killer
Thrips - a Spinosad based insecticide or the above. Spinosad is more effective in my opinion.
Spider Mites - Permethrin is best, then Pyrethrin or a pyretroid (synthetic). Avoid Imidacloprid based insecticides (like Bayer) as it can stimulate egg laying and fertility in some species of mites.

Manual removal of mealybugs is also highly recommended as mere spraying is seldom effective in eliminating them. Peel off any dead leaves around the crown as they hide in the nooks and crannies there. People will give you all sorts of recipes for solutions to help with this. 1 part water and 1 part rubbing alcohol is most common. Apply with a small (watercolor) paint brush. I use a solution of 1 part 409 cleaner, 1 part rubbing alcohol and 4 parts water. The soap dissolves the waxy shells on the mealybugs and is dilute enough not to harm the plants unless you overdo it. Moderation is the key.

Neem oil can be used but I've never found it to be all that effective. YMMV.

thanks for all the advice! what i saw looked a lot like aphis to me, except for the fact that the bugs were white,instead of the typical green, but i'm assuming that that is just a natural color variant of the bugs. would an insecticidal soap spray be safe for my sarrs? i know it will kill the bugs, i just want to make sure it is safe!

i just inspected my tarnok, and OH MY GOD THOSE LITTLE WHITE BUGS ARE EVERYWHERE!!:ohno:

what do i do?!?!?

auuuggggghhhh!!!

PANIC!!!!!

:spazz:

i think they might some sort of mite, as they are, i think, too small to be aphids, but whatever they are, i have launched my first strike in the war against these pests!:grin:

i made a garlic/hot pepper spray in an attempt to ward them off by an organic means. i poured some water in a blender, plopped in 1 cove of garlic that was in the spice cabinet, sprinkled in some garlic powder, went and picked three hot peppers from the plant outside in a pot on the deck, plopped them in, and added several sprinkles of chili powder,obliterated it, and then strained the liquid into a spray bottle.

i took it out and sprayed some directly into the mouth of an affected pitcher, one of the twisted ones, that had just opened, and sure enough, after a few sprays, the bugs began to swarm out! YESSSSS! run, run and never come back you stupid plant-juice-suckers!!!:cuss: several sprays later, the deformed pitcher was flooded with the solution, and drowning mites. i also sprayed the leaves of my psittacina, to hopefully, stop the spread of this infestation.

however, i have a feeling that this is not the last i will see of these little :censor:i think i may need something stronger... a lot stronger...:mwahaha:

any other suggestions for what i should use as my next weapon?:scratch:

1534ab4.jpg

FUUUUUUU.png

FFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!

CRAAAAPPPPPP!!!!

i had finally gotten rid of those nasty little mites, and my tarnok was happily rewarding me for defending him from their juice-sucking onslaught, making a lovely new pitcher, first un-damaged one in quite a while....

then, out of NOWHERE, this stupid :censor:ing caterpillar decided to come and chew a :censor:ing hole in my poor tarnok's vulnerable, newly forming leaf!!! ate the whole :censor:ing lid off too!

now the first good leaf in like FORVER has been ruined, before it even opened:down:

why must my tarnok constantly be tortured by these cruel insects!:cry:

^hehehehe, serious over reaction! :lol: im an idiot. lol.

anyways, time 4 an....

updaate!:

i uncovered my bog (it was covered in pine needled over winter) about a week ago! i have good news, and bad news.

well the tarnok is now officially dead, which had nothing to do with those mites, which i havent seen since last year, but i am still keeping my eye out for em, just in case. the tarnok rotted away at the rhizome during dormancy:( i noticed that there was gray fuzz on a few of the leaves after clearing all the pine needles. i tugged at one of them , and it came out , and the base was brownish. so now, im like, "oh, craaaap, pleeease dont let the whloe thing be deeaaaad...." so, i went in and dug around it, and lifted the whole thing out, to check on the state of its rhizome. i got out a huge ball of peatmoss with a bunch of hairy white root tips sticking out. seeing what looked to me like healthy roots (at the tip anyways), i was thinking "ok, please let this mean that there is still some healthy rhisome in there.". i cleaned away the peatmoss , and got to the rhizome. i couldnt tell from the outside, so i broke it open a little. squishy brown mush. i litterally went tearing (carefully) through the whole rhizome just hoping to find at least just one little tiny green living tip. no such luck. i ended up with a pile of worm eaten rhixzome mush ad a bunch of dismembered roots. oh well... :cry:

on the bright side, i am happy to announce that this is my first time ever getting a sarr successfully through its dormancy. yeah, im a total noob, lol, but i guess its sort of a milestone for me! hehe! :) the first sarr i got, a deathcube purp, along with a hybrid i got for my birthday, both died last winter. as described here in an off topic post i made while admiring pics of sarr flowers. http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?129714-Flower-Watch-2012/page2

this year, the deathcube rubra i rescued, and the psittacina both got through the winter just fine, along with the sundews. those (the dews) were growing close to the tarnok , so after taking it out to inspect the rhizome, i had to separate them, and re-plant them in the bog. thakfully, none of them got fungus-ed, and are all currently healthy looking dormancy buds, soon to grow probably!

also, i have a question about worms. are these ok in a minibog? i saw a few when i was diggin out that tarnok. i know that they help break down soil, so are usually a good thing, but in the case of a bog garden is this a bad thing? i know the peat/sand mix in my bog is going to break down eventually, so are worms just gonna be ok to have in it? i cant see how to really keep them out of the bog anyways, but i read something about worms being a bad thing in indoor Nepenthes pots, which, i know, is totaly different from an outdoor bog garden, but i just wanted to make sure.

hellooooo??

did anybody notice that i updated this thread??

i mean yeah, its not a big flasy update with a bunch of really neat plant pics and all, but doesnt anybody at least have somethin to say about it?(oh, and pleasez, someone answer my question about the worms)

and i do have a few pics of everything, and should have some more interesting ones when they start to grow! (i ll post them later, i cant right now, sorry)

Congrats on the successful winter dormancy! :)
and sorry about the loss..it happens! we have all lost plants..
but sounds like you have a good system down! So thats a good thing..

You are referring to the basic earth worm?
I wouldnt worry about them..they dont eat living plants, they just eat dead organic matter..
I don't even think they can "chew"..they just suck in dirt and extract the nutrients..

and a bog in summer should be too wet for them anyway..
like what happens (with worms) after a drenching summer rain, they should rise to the surface and wriggle off to better pastures
once the bog gets wet..

If you kept the bog drier in the autumn and through the winter (which is good)
I can see where the worms might like the bog as a nice winter dormancy spot..
but once you increase the water to the "summer level" they probably wont want to live there, and they should leave on their own..
so..I wouldn't worry about it! :)

Scot

yeah, we got a lot of rain here, the bog pretty much flooded, and there probably gone. good to know that they are harmless to my CPs! i didnt really think it was likely that earthworms could harm them, just wanted to make sure!:)

i will put pics on here in a second........ill go take some, up load them, and edit them into this post (instead of double posting.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

and here they are!

(sorry, the lens was a little smudged, but you can still see the plants clearly though.)

psittacina's first leaves coming out

35hme0h.jpg

one of the drosera tracyi

2yo92f9.jpg

this one hasnt come out of dormancy yet, so im not sure what it is. might be a drosera intermedia, i remember that being in the bog last year.(theres some pics of it a few pages back actually.)

2d1v8qv.jpg

also, the rubra has two tiny leaves just starting to emerge, but there not all that interesting.

Last edited:
Back