What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bog Garden Soil Layer and Base

Hello all. I'd like some input from the bog gardeners. I'm going to create one from a hard plastic pond tub. It is several feet deep (at least two to three, if I had to estimate). The tub will be above ground. What is best to use as a base for the bog? I could fill the whole thing with the peat mix, but would like to find something cheaper (and not requiring mixing), perhaps gravel or sand. Anyone have experience or ideas? Much appreciated.

First of all if you dont mind digging I would recommend digging a hole and lining it with pond liner. This is much cheaper and way more flexible. Also, A 50/50 peat/sand mix has always worked best for me. I also put a layer of DSM followed my a sheet of LSM, which if conditions are right will grow to cover the bog.
This is just what has worked for me, of course.
Good luck and good growing,
nepenthes99

Thank you. I already have the pond tub as it was given to me. I'd prefer to use that and keep it above ground so as to keep grass clippings off of it (I hate that). I will definitely place a layer of live sphagnum on the top. I'm just not sure what's best to use as a base for the bog.

Bob Ziemer as I recall uses straight peat moss mainly from lack of local supply of usable sand. Pure peat moss may not work out in your climate though. One never knows.

I use a 60/40 peat perlite mix for my Sarracenia. It rains a lot here and good drainage is essential for Sarracenia in this hot and humid climate. I may use perlite in the artificial bog, but with a good layer of live sphagnum at the top to prevent the perlite from showing and splashing. Sand is too compacting. I've looked for a larger-grained sand, but have not found it.

I've done mine with a layer of sand on the bottom third, 50:50 peat/sand mix in the middle third and pure peat for the top third topped by Live sphag. Sorry, mixing required my way.

Hi mannyherrera

If your bog is several feet deep may I suggest putting some inverted buckets, plastic pots or similar, with holes drilled in them in their sides and bottoms to put in your container, to create a water reservoir under the plants roots and thereby saving you the mixing and use of a lot of expensive media. The actual substrate depth should be 18" plus and I use a mix of 50% peat and 50% perlite which works well. Moss covering is optional, it looks pretty and acidifies the soil but come spring the birds, (over here in the UK anyway) tend to pull it up for nesting material and along with it a myriad of seedlings, I have lose so many sundews, pings and small sarrs that way.

You could also put a drain and bung in the side of your container to drain it during winter and regulate the water level if you need to.

Hope that helps and good luck with it. Let us know how you get on.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks, Steve. i hadn't considered that. I also use a heavy perlite mix. The birds can be problematic here for some, but I haven't had much trouble. I'll trade the dreaded cutworm for a bird anyday.

Back