What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New GH project

JB_OrchidGuy

Cardiac Nurse
Yesterday I started salvaging blocks from the property adjacent to mine. Gathered 60 blocks before I called it quits.
20121010_164435.jpg

Today I started with the foundation to my GH expantion project. My 8x8 was just not going to hold my hl nepenthes as they grow. And not to mention I have my LL stuff outside and they need the 8x8 once its recovered!!!

So I start.
the first wall support gets put up.

20121010_174442.jpg

An hour or so later I hit my first snag.

20121010_202730.jpg

I run into roots from the tree next to the project area.
20121010_202751.jpg

20121010_202800.jpg

After taking a maul to the roots and grabbing supper. I get my path cut through and the second wall footer is completed.
20121010_215812.jpg

The third wall gets dug out with ease as there is no roots. And its done at 2245.

20121010_224938.jpg

So now I hate to leave a project unfinished and even though its late I push on. I get the fourth and final footer in and finished around 2345.
20121010_234329.jpg

I will fill the blocks with dirt and cap them with cap blocks next day off.

The footer me assures 12 x 16 roughly. The size of my new HL GH. Stay tuned for the fun things I do with pallets after I get the structure built.

More to come.

Last edited:
Crap I will fix pics in a lil bit.

gotta start somewhere..

I have to get a foundation dug on mine before I can start with the block walls.

Dug mine last night. Will get finished my next day off.

Hoping to start my own greenhouse project soon. It'll be good to compare notes :) I'm not as lucky as you so far in being able to find mountains of free cinder blocks though! Still on the prowl

My wife's grandmother used to live next door. She had her tesuker ubderpinbed with block. And flower beds in the yard if block. It was work knocking the mortar off the blocks to clean them up but it gave me more than enough for the job. I just have to buy the cap stones.

Word to the wise. Start collecting pallets. Collect as many as you can. Check Craig's list or other publications. They make for great benches. Just dismantle and use the wood.

Paul thus is my 5th GH. ;-) I learn something new each time around. My third was 12 x 16 and loved that size. This will be that size too. But going to be a better design than my oth
er large one. I'm excited to get it up and running. Imcwirking the next 5days though. Blah!!!

Off to a great start it seems! Keep us updated!

Dug mine last night. Will get finished my next day off.

I want mine to be a deep foundation. Gonna need steps to walk down into the GH.
Will need a backhoe to dig that deep.

Ahh I see. That would be awesome!! Help keep it cool.

So on Friday 10-19 I got to buy some supplies for my new project. To start I bought 50 blocks and 50- 2 x 4's.
20121019_194025.jpg

20121019_194045.jpg

Can't forget the 16 foot 2x4 for the peek either. See it hanging on side?

Ended up looking like this till Sunday night.
1350698205836.jpg

I got off Sunday night grabbed a bite and sat with wifey a bit then decided to get started. Why not right? I do most of my work with plants a night. So I got started and after getting everything setup it was 2200.

So I get underway. First wall gets finished.
20121021_223035.jpg

Woooo taller than I imagined. Wifey said go with it so I did.
20121021_223901.jpg

Shortly later the second wall gets finished.
20121021_233602.jpg

Something tells me I will need a taller ladder to finish. Lol

And the third wall gets finished.
20121022_001443.jpg

Going up!!

20121022_002140.jpg

Last wall for tonight.

20121022_004529.jpg

20121022_010939.jpg

So at about 0100 in the morning I finished with the wall frame!!!!

Last edited:
You are doing a great job ( so inspired to work at night, by floodlight!), but I worry that once you get a roof on it, you won't be able to reach the rafters at all. Those walls look taller than 6 foot, and by the time you have a peaked roof up, it will be like fifteen feet tall at the ridge! Have you considered that?

Yes I did. I've been kicking myself. No I won't be able to reach the ridge. I was contemplating that all last night. My last GH I made too short and had no headroom. This one looks too tall. If I do the 45° angles like I originally planned yes it will be 14' at the peak. Was thinking chains for hang bars. The only other thing I was thinking about was heating. I want head room for plants to vine and so I'm not bonking head on pots. Idk this is where I kick myself for not going down in size to 6' walls then if I did will I want the extra headroom of 8' walls. Was trying to be frugal with supplies. And not do many cuts.

BTW I love my flood lights. They get used often.

Yes I did. I've been kicking myself. No I won't be able to reach the ridge. I was contemplating that all last night. My last GH I made too short and had no headroom. This one looks too tall. If I do the 45° angles like I originally planned yes it will be 14' at the peak. Was thinking chains for hang bars. The only other thing I was thinking about was heating. I want head room for plants to vine and so I'm not bonking head on pots. Idk this is where I kick myself for not going down in size to 6' walls then if I did will I want the extra headroom of 8' walls. Was trying to be frugal with supplies. And not do many cuts.

And then there is the expense of all the wall material you are going to need, be it glass or twin-wall polycarbonate :-O

Oh yeah well here its going to be 6mil plastic. I can't afford the poly yet. That's the good thing about living in the south. I can get away with 6mill two layers. And temps stay fine. My current GH only has one layer.

Josh,

From the looks of you hanging boards on the side of your truck, you are now an official hillbilly :)

(insert joke here...)

very cool project mate....

He he you might be a redneck if....

Lmao yup well just wouldn't fit any other way. 16' is LONG. when trying to transport with a truck. And not a big truck. Thanks Butch. I'm excited. Wait till you see my next trick lol. I'll def be called a redreck lol.

Let's see how well several pallets and a ladder work together.

Back