What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Re-using a 2.5g aquarium for CPs?

My betta fish died. I've been rethinking about re-using the tank as a little CP garden, but I didn't know if rinsing with RO water would be enough to get rid of any bacteria,minerals,dechlorinator, etc. Or if the light fixture would work even for something as basic as D.capensis or D.spatulata. This would really be something I'd realistically only use in the winter months. I have two D.spatulata, and one D.capensis, I think they would fit, just barely.

There's doing OK where they are now, but I think they'd do better with more light. I am concerned with the heat from the light however.

Feedback?

I've been cleaning containers forever since my hobbies are terrarium oriented, I'll offer advice that I can.

Unless you care what the bottom looks like (you shouldn't) just fill it with some silica sand and water, slosh it around and at least get the bottom nice (the easiest way I know of) As for the walls, dilute some dish soap and scrub with a cloth or paper towel, you have to be thorough, and use a new cloth a couple of times to make sure.

Afterwords you need to soak it, since it's only 2.5 gallons you should be able to do this relatively easy, use a hose or a faucet to spray down the walls, then CLOTH DRY IT don't let it air dry,

You're done! If you want to use distilled water to offset anything that might have gotten into the water that's fine, but you don't need to (I haven't and have been fine)

Oh, and if the sides are really caked, you can use on of those car windshield de-icers to scrape (if you have one) otherwise you can get it off with your hand relatively easy, (it's a little gross, but works better than a papertowel)

There's no like..visible schmutz on it, as least none that a wet paper towel wouldn't take care of--I was more worried about trace elements.
I'll clean it out tonight possibly and see how the Drosera do in there.
How long should I let it soak? How much dishsoap should I use?

I'm probably overthinking this, lol.

Sorry I didn't answer, I assume you cleaned and are using it right now.

To answer you question, a small drop would be fine.
Yeah you're overthinking it :)

Back