What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Simple Drip System

I don't know if this topic has been covered before on this forum. But I though I would share the idea!

I was looking for a simple drip system to water my darlingtonia's without flooding my other plants.

The system I came up with was inexpensive, simple, the water is kept cool.

I came up with a simple pressure, siphon system. The first prototype was made with 2 empty distilled water bottles, a simple aquarium air pump, tubing, T-connectors and air valves. The prototype worked, but drained too quickly over the day, and was difficult to seal the bottles. I finally found that if I up scaled the system, the water use could better be controlled. the system now uses 2 - 5 Gallon Carboy Polyethylene Jugs, and I was able to use common plumbing parts to seal the air/water jug.

The air tube extends into the bottle of the bottle. I use a rigid tube that reaches the bottom. Also, the tube that is used to draw the water out also has a rigid tube that extends to the bottom the bottle. The principle is, the bottle is pressurized and the pressure pushes the water out through the tube to the drip valve.

The process is: Air pump to check valve, to the water jug, water tube from jug to the plant, air valve to control the drip flow, The plants need to be sitting in a deep tray, and exit opening in the bottom of the collection tray, tube from tray to a collection bottle or jug of the same capacity as the original water bottle or jug.

You just need to adjust the flow using the air valve control where the water is dripping from

Total price using a gallon bottle system under $20.
The larger system around $50.

Here are some photos to see how it works. Please excuse the mess, It is a work in progress. Which seems to be working!
I hope this helps with others who don't need a full irrigation system to water specific plants.

Full system setup
file.php

Detail of tanks
file.php

Closeup of drip valve
file.php

Last edited:
Looks great. I have been toying around with the idea for awhile my self. I may have a weekend project now!
Is there anyway you could show us the system working with a video?
I know there is a way to measure drip systems gph using a tablespoon? Do you know your systems gph?

Thanks for sharing your creation.

Looks great. I have been toying around with the idea for awhile my self. I may have a weekend project now!
Is there anyway you could show us the system working with a video?
I know there is a way to measure drip systems gph using a tablespoon? Do you know your systems gph?

Thanks for sharing your creation.

You are very welcome!

I will try to attach a video of the system. As for the measure water flow, It's based on how much of a drip you need on the plant. It will drain four gallons in a matter of a couple of hours if I fully opened the drip valves.

I made a flood and drain system that worked on a similar pressurised principle.

This is so smart. It eliminated all the problems I could think of with a water pump. Is there a way to have the water feed directly back to the original container?

Thanks for the video. Helped understand more clearly.

I think if you want the water in one container you will have to use the flood method shown by mobile.

This is so smart. It eliminated all the problems I could think of with a water pump. Is there a way to have the water feed directly back to the original container?

No, the pressure in the main water bottle will try to push the water back into the vessel with the lower pressure. The Bottle needs to be pressure tight or the water will not be pushed through the outlet tube to the plants.

Back