What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

High-fired ceramic by yours trully!

• Thread starter David F
  • Start date
BEAUTIFUL! I would love to learn how to throw properly. I'd buy some if you end up selling them online. I just bought a few ceramic pots yesterday but I love the rustic look of yours. Great work!

I'm best known for weird drip glazes, textures, and of course the almighty wabi-sabi. Thanks for stopping by. I might even learn how to make the images show up on the page.

In regards to selling, I'll be trading further into the season, unfortunately I would have to price the pots in a somewhat higher range as they are hand crafted art... I imagine not too many selling when forum members plan to put one of their many plants in them. We shall see o_O

I'll be posting more photos as I peak into the random places they reside about my house.

If anyone has questions like "why" or "how" feel free to ask. "Why are you so terrible('s)" are not allowed ;).

Haha. Awesome! Yeah I used to do a bit of ceramics here and there. My ex girlfriends whole family were potters too so I've been around a bunch of it. I'm an illustrator and make other stuff (I hate calling myself an artist, I think it's super lame) but I really would love to throw more. I wish I had the facility to do so. I love Raku fired stuff too. I'd possibly be down to trade at some point. I love to support art and I really would love to have some plants sitting in a nice pot. I think it makes the appearance much more appealing! Good going!

Maybe something to contribute to the NASC auction? :-D

Thats what I was thinking. They would probably fetch a pretty penny!

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is the NASC auction?

No need to apologize! I too am pretty new here and was asking the same thing a few weeks ago. It's a big benefit auction for the National Sarracenia Conservation where members (and others) put up plants and other goods for auction and the proceeds go towards protecting land and other good causes. There should be a bunch of great plants/other stuff up for auction. I believe it starts on the 30th.

*edit* Oops NON beat me to it.

I'm sure I could make a set of planters with inscribed/carved cps on the side. Raw clay on the inside, porous non-toxic high fire glaze on the outside!

Beautiful work . . .

That would be sweet! Some cool sgraffito would be awesome! Although I've heard you want ceramic pots for CP's to be glazed on the inside as well. Otherwise minerals from the clay could be detrimental when they seep into the soil after waterings. So I hear..

Im so very jealous! I want to make my own pots soooo badly.

That would be sweet! Some cool sgraffito would be awesome! Although I've heard you want ceramic pots for CP's to be glazed on the inside as well. Otherwise minerals from the clay could be detrimental when they seep into the soil after waterings. So I hear..

I've heard about that as well. Though I've discussed with very serious and experienced Flytrap expert Steve Doonan, arguing your point stated above. It appears that high fire clay has incorporated all materials including minerals as the glass form of ceramic. Ceramic is a true glass, and straight out of the kiln, it is practically sterile and inert. Whereas glazing on the inside with certain materials will eventually leach. Glazes that contain barium, cobalt, iron (low fire) etc. are toxic and leak quiet a bit. There are some glazes that are safe on the inside, but I figure leaving it raw takes out the guess work and allows the soil to stay a bit cooler. I've not seen extreme evidence on either side and I think it depends on the clay, technique, glaze, and kiln temperature. the setup at my school is high-fire reduction, perfect for plant pots.

Outside of this hobby, lower fire, softer, porous glazes are preferred as they allow the most breathing and organic/rustic aging on a pot. These are excluded from our hobby because the raw clay does leach because not all of it's content is true glass.

Beautiful artwork! I do ceramics in school, and have tried my hand at throwing, but I'm much better at hand-built. I've made pots that look like pitcher plants, and many other sculptures and such as well. I envy those who can throw well, though.

Very interesting David! I'll trust that you know what your talking about :) Good news anyway,thanks!

could you make me a ceramic "rock" with fissures and irregularities for planting CP's on? Not sure how difficult that would be and how glazings might work with it. Thinking out loud.

Great Work!

@shortbus Pm'd

@East_To_West I honestly remain skeptical myself, since I've yet to see any published articles or even vague experiments. Maybe I'll be the first :D

@everyone Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

Back