What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greenhouse project!

So I am looking to set up a greenhouse in the backyard. Im in florida and the area I will be working with receives full sun just about the entire day. Im planning on using a 60% blue shade cloth and using just insect netting on the sides to keep out pests and the demon squirrels. I plan on working with tillandsia, nepenthes, orchids, bromelaids and staghorn ferns. What do you guys think? Will the 60% shade cloth be enough to keep them from burning? Thats my main concern at this point. thanks!

I use a 60% shade cloth with excellent results ;). Since you're in Florida, you might end up having to grow lowland Nepenthes unless you have an AC unit and several other appliances for the GH. There are several peeps and vendors in Florida that grow their plants outside under shade clothes and only experience a slow period of growth during the winter time. There's quite a few of them on this forum http://www.pitcherplants.proboards.com/ incase you want to ask them questions and consider your options for your environment.

Awesome i will check them out now! Thanks!!

Wow! It seems like you've got a big undertaking right now!

While I have no idea about the intensity of Florida sun, my plants grow in full sun from 12:00 to 4:00 and I see no ill effects. If I were to use shade cloth, it would be in a low percentage such as 30% to aid in cooling and the acclimation process. IMO, large amounts of sun are quite beneficial to nepenthes. Just my two cents...

Florida is insufferably lowland in the coolest parts. There is no more than 40 ft. elevation in the whole of FL. HI on the other hand is surrounded by a cooler ocean and wind currents, and you personally could have a huge range of conditions on those islands. FL = lowland.

I use a 60% shade cloth with excellent results ;). Since you're in Florida, you might end up having to grow lowland Nepenthes unless you have an AC unit and several other appliances for the GH. There are several peeps and vendors in Florida that grow their plants outside under shade clothes and only experience a slow period of growth during the winter time. There's quite a few of them on this forum http://www.pitcherplants.proboards.com/ incase you want to ask them questions and consider your options for your environment.

When I lived in West Palm Beach I grew orchids as described, had to bring them in a couple times when we got frosts but other than that had no issues.

Back