What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exo Terra 18x18x24 CP terrarium question

Thanks a lot Im thinking of replacing the top screen with plexi glass And place two t5s on it do you think that will work? and how many inches you think that is to the t5 to the bottom of the tank?

Thanks

what are the plants you will put into your exo?

all of my collection Ill raise smaller ones with egg crates I plan on putting my entire collection in there exp for my ultra highlanders

Ok
For example, you cannot grow a nepenthes with a heliamphora, because if you provide enough light to your helis, your nep will burn. Thats why i need to know your plants. But you can always raise your heli near the top, by the time your neps are lower. You can down the T5s very close to the top glasse.

But its a very general advise, others tf members will add more information!

i grow my helis and neps together and the helis are lower than many of the neps. they just dont show their best color this way but it can certainly be done

but can a tank with this list be realistic ? http://imageshack.us/a/img547/8146/p1010086s.jpg

H tatei var nebalie x hispida
H tatei
H nutans
H sarracenioides
H pulchella akopan
N hamata from single clone
3 diff N ampullarlias,
H hederdoxa x minor,
H burgundy black,
2 H tequila ,
1 H tequila "red",
N robcantleyi,
N black night,
N eddie x burb,
N rajah from BE.
N Edwardsiana SG

all opinions appreciated

Its not impossible, but some of your plants will not thrive. For example, if you provide the right lighting for your ampularia(s), your heli will be green. As i and mylesg said, you can raise up your heli near the top, and put the neps lower in the terra.

Another thing, some of your neps are lowlanders, and you want to put them with many species of heliamphora. Both genus need very differents temperatures. And your helis need a good temps drop at night, this will put your lowlanders into troubles.

By the way, you have a very cool heliamphora collection! Im looking for buying a minor burgundy-black since 1 year! LoL i think under my lighting setup, the purple color can be amazing.
I want to try someday :)

This is a h.minor under my lighting setup

8700667806_bb7d4accb1_b.jpg

Last edited:
How far can light be from neps or helis and seedlings 18 inches 24 inches 10 inches ???

For me, you should grow your heliamphora as close as you can of the T5, a inch or 2, but the temps have to be 26C or less the day, and 12C to 17C at night. With good ventilation/misting.

And put your neps on the bottom of the terra. Your lowlanders need 26-30C+ the day, and 20-22C at night.
With no misting.

All this into RH85%.

Good luck ;)

heli's appreciate more light than neps but they can definitely be grown together and thrive. 24 inches sounds like too much distance from the lights for even the neps though. in my tanks the neps are no more than 12 inches from the lights and in many cases they are within 2". the problem with close proximity to the lights is heat and low humidity so if you solve those problems with fans and humidifiers then helis will like being within a few inches of the lights. the setup in the picture you linked would work, just would have to fine tune it for the plants you have.

heli's appreciate more light than neps but they can definitely be grown together and thrive. 24 inches sounds like too much distance from the lights for even the neps though. in my tanks the neps are no more than 12 inches from the lights and in many cases they are within 2". the problem with close proximity to the lights is heat and low humidity so if you solve those problems with fans and humidifiers then helis will like being within a few inches of the lights. the setup in the picture you linked would work, just would have to fine tune it for the plants you have.

I dont think we can grow a lowlander nepenthes with heliamphora and making the both plants thrive. What about the temps drop? Heliamphora require very hight amount of light, not nepenthes, you will end with green heliamphora, or burned leaves nepenthes. You call that thriving? I have the same terra, and my neps are at the bottom, with reddish leaves, with only one 24inches T5 tube (he got 2)you think my nep have a lack of light?

But maybe im wrong !

yeah i think you're wrong. the only lowlanders are the amps which from what i understand are pretty tolerant of lower temps, the rest are highlanders. helis are also highlanders so they should be able to kept together. heli's do well under T5HOs and so do nepenthes. i have never had any nepenthes leaves get burned in my terrariums. even right up against the top and <2 inches of the lights. the leaves on some neps get a blush of red pigmentation under high light which is normal for some species as a sunscreen this is completely different from leaf burning (same as helis). of course there are some neps that prefer or can do with less light, these can just be put lower and further from the light as light intensity drops very quickly in proportion to distance from the source.

Its your opinion, i respect that, but for me, and from my experience, you cannot grow all this together and make them all thrive.
Again, light requirement, ventilation requirement, temperatures (specialy at night) are not the same.

As a learn from andreas last year, nepenthes are not supposed to have red leaves, exept for a couples of species who are not in the list. If your neps experiment red leaves, you have leaves burning, not severe burning but burning. Its not the same thing with heliamphora, who are supposed to turn red (plant tissues and spoon) with the right lighting. Look at my heliamphoras pictures if you doubt.

I think putting all this in the same terra, its the easy way, and this will not make the plants thrive, but only survive.

Its my opinion :)

maiden, no problem! from my experience it is pretty simple to provide a setup in a single tank that caters to both types of plants. many TF members also keep helis and neps together with good results.

for example: this H heterodoxa x minor

oldheliamphorapic2.jpg

and this N spectabilis

IMG_0638.jpg

were grown in the same terra. pics were taken around the same time.

Yeah, last year i grew nepenthes with my helis, was ok, but not optimal. And the nep was not lowlanders. Your heli hybrid maybe can handle more warm temps? And maybe your nectar spoon can be bigger with better lighting? Like the one on my picture? But again, maybe im wrong, because your pitchers seems to have great colors!

But man, im not the extrem expert lol. Like a said, maybe im wrong, i have to read more about all this.

And each setup, in each country is differents ! Differents elevation and weathers etc.

I think cp4ever will need to make his own tests, and found what is the best for his setup and his plants.

If you grow your lowlanders with your helis, then you are a outstanding grower ! Maybe somebody else with less experience cannot do that.

Thanks for your replys, and making me learning :)

Last edited:
Thanks for all answers heres my final product let me know what you think!

does it look ok for plants?!

I think we will have to wait a couple of weeks for the plants to settle in to tell for sure:)

What did you finally decide on as far as lighting? Can you post a few more pictures?
Loving the exo-terra background ;)

Good Growing,
Kenny

Back