What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Supplemental LED lighting

Just wondering if anyone has experience with LED lighting for their plants. The technology currently available looks pretty amazing (though expensive...) and I have been toying with the idea of buying/building my own LED array for my CPs. Unfortunately most of the information available on the internet is for growing "medical" marijuana. (Indoors. Legally. Of course. Which is why you don't want anyone to know about it.)

So if anyone has something to say, be it positive or negative, I'm all ears. Does the extra $$ really give you an advantage over fluorescent?

I've tried getting into LEDs, but so far you need to use about the same wattage in your LEDs as you would in T5HOs or CFLs to get the same amount of light. You pay more for LEDs, but they live longer. And they don't need to be reflected, which is a bonus in some setups. I just haven't found a setup yet that blows my fluorescents out of the water.

Does anyone have experience with Kessil?

I've tried getting into LEDs, but so far you need to use about the same wattage in your LEDs as you would in T5HOs or CFLs to get the same amount of light.
The energy efficiency of LED lights is only seen if one picks the specific wavelengths that plants need. This way, the waste energy in white light that plants can't use is saved.

The energy efficiency of LED lights is only seen if one picks the specific wavelengths that plants need. This way, the waste energy in white light that plants can't use is saved.

Which brings me to a disappointing place. The 'pink light' set-ups are fine for commercial use but my plants are here to be viewed not merely grown. The possible decrease in heat over T5s would be an advantage to me but at present the cost of led arrays more than offsets that. So I'll keep watching...

The 'pink light' set-ups are fine for commercial use but my plants are here to be viewed not merely grown.
Another grower referred to this as growing plants under disco lights :)

One can add a white LED into the mix to make it look a little more pleasing to the eye.

Back