What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cooling Idea for Highland Growers

Any good ideas on how to keep a highland terrarium cool without spending a bunch of money on an ac unit? Thanks

A lot of people put frozen water bottles in with the plants.

It might help to have a little more info on your conditions though. What kind of temps are you deal with normally? How big of a tank?

What is your budget?

I have been thinking about starting one and have just seen that the nighttime temperature drop was a big obstacle for most people. Temperatures where I live normally get to 70 during the night and around 80 during the day

Got a basement?

In winter I open a basement window next to my grow tent just a tiny crack at night. Since heat rises and my house thermostat is not on that floor, it doesn't seem to affect my heating bill much. I also bought a Craigslist mini-fridge for $30 that's hooked up to a $20 temperature controller (more precise and another level of protection from freezing) that I put baby highlanders in at night.

I really wish we had a basement. Would make life so much easier..

Thanks for the suggestions everybody! I may try the swamp cooler and see if that helps, but the extra humidity couldn't hurt

Did this help much with cooling down the temperature for you? i know this is how greenhouses are cooled and that it can cool a room dramatically, but did this small of an evaporative pad do much in terms of temperature of maybe say a tank? Thanks so much

Back