Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Setting up a new terrarium - watering (and other) advice requested

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iím excited to see the terrarium over 10 years in the making! Be sure to post updates

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not necessarily abandon the waterfall/circulating thing, but I would advise against using a bucket under the terrarium. In your first iteration with the pump and lines in the tank, if something comes loose, it feeds back into the tank, no harm no foul. Or at worse you scotch a pump. The other way, if something comes loose you get a big mess and run out of water.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I finally have plants in my terrarium!

Since My Last Post

After the second coat of poly dried on everything I tested the waterfall. It worked great, but there was a bit of splashing which resulted in a puddle or two forming on the foam. Unfortunately, it looked like it was discoloring the paint a little bit, so I added another two thick coats of poly. Since then no issues with water damage.

I started monitoring humidity. The waterfall boosts it from around 35% to 60% over the course of an hour and a half. It drops back to 35% within a couple hours of the waterfall turning off. I've considered sealing the corners where the glass panels meet but am worried that will reduce airflow too much. For now I have the waterfall set to run several times per day, as often as possible.

The waterfall is louder than I expected. I added some stones I picked up at the dollar store, but it only helped a little. It can grate on me a bit, and I can't run it during work hours. I'm looking for a cheap sheet of acrylic I can place over the open top of the terrarium to cut down on noise and humidity loss. If I can't find one soon I'll just pay the $14 it costs on Amazon.

The grow light is extraordinarily bright so I had it set just to run at night. However, I tried it out today while the sun was pouring in the window and it wasn't terrible. And the color from it wasn't as offensive as I expected; kinda interesting really. Especially where it reflects off the top of the waterfall, which makes the water look like a rainbow. Still, I think I'm going to keep it running at night and just run the white lights during the day for now; it's still a little too bright for comfort and I also worry about if it could cause any vision damage over time.

I ordered four of the five plants and they just came in today. I got them re-potted and have full pots in the terrarium for the first time! I'm really happy with how it's all coming together.

Yet To Do

I'm going to let things run for a couple weeks just to make sure everything is okay. I'd hate to do any decorating and then just have to tear it apart to fix the waterfall or something. After I'm comfortable with performance I'm going to get some fake moss to stick down the corners and around the waterfall. I also have a ton of 'minis' that I picked up at Michaels a couple years ago during a sale.

Also once I'm sure all the plants are growing happily, I'll set out on my quest to find somewhere to buy a D Scorpioides. Right now I'm planning to drop it dead center, but may trade places between it and my Sarr.

I still need to tuck some wires away, but again, I'll wait until I'm sure I don't need to tear everything apart. Same with removing the plant tags.

Thanks for reading. Comments welcome.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123