What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

starting a bog

losfreddy

Composter
Hey all, been a long time since posting here. Just wanted to say ive acquired a variety of pitcher plant, VFT and sundew seeds.. Plan on starting a bog. Got a tub i plan to put a plastic sun roof on; going to burn holes in the side so it can breath. Im gonna fill it with sphagnum and top it off with a thing layer of finely chopped coir. Purpose of the coir is to allow the very small seeds to germinate without sinking too deep in the sphagnum. I was thinking of giving the seeds a 2 week soak in a sandwhich bag and damp paper towel in the fridge. Also ive collected rain water for the project. Hope everything works out. Ill post pics when things progress. Thanks ;)

just something to consider: sarracenia dont like coir. they seem to do much better in peat. other than that, things look exciting, looking forward to seeing your progress!

I may use peat then instead. Was just looking for something finely ground because of the seeds being so small. seems to be a general rule whenj woring with small seeds

Put some dried sphag in a food processor and use that instead of peat. I have found that this milled sphag gves you the benefits of sphag with the finer texture.

Back