What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oregoncp's 10x12 Harbor freight greenhouse adventures

i really love the house :) you did a great job getting it setup with a nice solid foundation.

i hope the weather chills out a bit, thats rough

Little update on the greenhouse.

Today we trenched and ran 1" conduit over to the GH. About 120 feet total. Got all the conduit in the ground and into the main house panel, and pulled in #6 aluminum conductors. Plan on mounting a small sub panel in the greenhouse protected at 50amps. This should be more than enough to run any heater/fan/lights/water pump combos that I ever want.

Next on the list is the panel. Then the heater, and a misting system. Piece by piece its coming together. I haven't put much effort into filling it up yet, because I want to get my conditions good and stable before I put many plants inside.

On a side note, does anyone have any recommendations for places to get shade cloth? I have been looking at greenhousemegastore, but I wanna know if anyone has a favorite source besides that.

Last edited by a moderator:
It double posted there for some reason, I removed the double part for you...

I just use the stuff from lowes on both of my greenhouses. For the big greenhouse I stable it to the wood. On the small (metal) greenhouse I wrap long boards in the cloth and drape it over the top and the boards hold it tight then it is removeable if you want it to be. Easily lasts 3-5 years in my conditions.

It double posted there for some reason, I removed the double part for you...

I just use the stuff from lowes on both of my greenhouses. For the big greenhouse I stable it to the wood. On the small (metal) greenhouse I wrap long boards in the cloth and drape it over the top and the boards hold it tight then it is removeable if you want it to be. Easily lasts 3-5 years in my conditions.

None of the lowes/home depots around me carry shade cloth at all, or I would have just put it on the card :p I will look at their online stuff. I am not to worried about UV damage to the cloth here. More the wind that it would have to live through.

Can take the wind just fine.. It'll pull out of the wood before it tears. (Mine is hanging off the g/h right now infact from some winds.. but winter is coming, and it's not getting too hot so I've left it.) In fact when winter comes, I grab the shade cloth and yank it of... it throws the staples (has even left welts on me) but rarely tears even a little. For the cost, can't go wrong IMO. I believe this is the one I get.. It covers one side of the large g/h (all I ever do) or the whole top of the small one. http://www.lowes.com/pd_249291-304-...ct_price|0&Ntt=shade+fabric&page=1&facetInfo=

Just in case the link doesn't work for you... it's called Easy Gardener 6-ft x 15-ft Residential Tan Polyethylene Shade Fabric (or in black or green)

I bought a few rolls of shade cloth for $10.00 a roll on clearence (at 50% off retail price),
at Walmart's garden center of all places!
They call it "shade fabric". The label says it's UV protected poly mesh up to 70% shade, (more like 50%)
A roll opens up to 6' X 15'. Comes in Tan, black or a blackish-green color.
I've used it all summer in full sun to drape over my back deck, and it's a good product.
Should last for many years.

Back