What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

40 Gal Terrarium setup help

Hey guys I have this 40 Gal breeder I am looking to turn into a huge planted tank. I was thinking on having a nice big Nepenthes growing out of the tank like and miranda. How will the miranda do indoors in a huge west facing window?? Any other Neps that do well indoors and get big?

Thinking on putting something like tiger salamanders in it. They cannot climb, wont make a total mess of the tank, and fit the theme of the tank pretty well. They will enjoy the sphagnum's humidity as well.

Temps in the house stay at 77, I can add additional light/heat if necessary.

I live in FL.

Thanks for any help!
-james

Nepenthes can do OK in a large planted tank but for a standard 40 breeder I would suggest a species that keeps low and scrambles and creates a lot of basals and also likes occasionally very wet roots (since there's no actual way to drain a aquarium/terrarium). N. ampullaria does very well in this situation, I had two or three different color varieties in my 40 gallon planted jungle crab vivarium and they did just great.

N. Miranda is an awesome plant when in hot & humid conditions but it also has an awesome size and would outgrow your 40 Gallon very quickly since after the addition of drainage material and a decent soil level of 4" or better you won't have much more than about 12" of vertical room left. If you take the lid off the tank to allow the plant to grow vertically you will loose most of the humidity the lid keeps inside which means it will probably quit pitchering once the lid comes off, if you use lower/scrambling type species the lid can stay on and the climate will be more constant and pitchers can develop easily.

"N. Miranda is an awesome plant when in hot & humid conditions but it also has an awesome size and would outgrow your 40 Gallon very quickly"

+1

N. Miranda is an awesome plant when in hot & humid conditions but it also has an awesome size and would outgrow your 40 Gallon very quickly

I'll also +1 that statement. My Miranda measures roughly 3 1/2 feet long from the base of the leaves to the end of the tendrils, and the largest pitchers are just a hair over a foot long. Not a great candidate for a terrarium unless the terrarium is huge.

Back