What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NoID Orchid is Coelogyne cristata, or a hybrid involving it. I'm surprised to see such a nice one in GA, this is a definite "highland-ultrahighland" orchid. I never noticed that one back at UGA.
The NOID was referring to the red one, but I've since gotten a good tip that it might be an SLC. The C. cristata grows quite easily with little effort. I pretty much voluntarily appropriated the entire orchid collection because most of it was rotting and we were down to ~20 plants. Now we're up over 100. I had to step in because my favorite ones, Bulbophyllum lobbii and Vanda tricolor, started dying.

And now..... a walk through ancient earth!

Psilotum nudum, Whisk Fern (fern ally). One of the most primitive vascular plants, and barely a step up from bryophytes. Lacks roots, makes neat spore cases.

When the greenhouse gets dirty, we turn him upside down and use him as a broom.

Rabbit's foot fern, Davallia feejeensis

The most giant fern ever, so giant in fact that's it's known as THE Giant Fern, Angiopteris evecta

My favorite cycad, Encephalartos horridus. One of the first tasks I was asked to do at this job was to prune him. It hurt. A lot.

Cyathea cooperi

Gnetum gnemon, believe it or not a gymnosperm! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnetum

Cycad rearing area, where babies grow up to become..... slightly larger slow-growing babies!

Ceratozamia female cone scale.

female Ceratozamia cone. I think the hexagon thing looks beautiful.

Cycas wadei

Zamia furfuracea (ignore the mealybugs)

Probably an Asplenium, but as of now a NOID. Chime in if you know!

Cycas revoluta

Microsorum musifolium, Crocodile Fern

Under the fronds is a site for sor-i....... sorry. Plant nerd humor.

Platycerium bifurcatum

Lygodium japonicum, the only genus of vining ferns, coming out.

Caterpillar fern, Polypodium formosanum

Adiantum capillus-veneris

Selaginella uncinata mat

Asplenium nidus

Dioon edule

MOSS!

Moss mushroom!

This moss is all actually in a research area where we're growing trees for biofuel and cell wall research. The individual trees have been around so long that I've been able to cultivate this epically sexy green crust. The moss is so spectacular in this room that now the biology labs come in to learn about bryophytes there.

Everybody's got moss! Up close, they look like miniature golf courses. Not to mention killer bonsais!

Phlebodium NOID, perhaps a cultivar of aureum? We have aureum and it's 3x the size of this little guy.

Love how blue he is

NEED ID ON THIS. I have a gut feeling it's another species than bifurcatum.

Platycerium bifurcatum

Last edited:
love that moss! tons of humidity in there to encourage the growth that much?

U. longifolia, from Dean Cook
U. calycifida 'Asenath Waite' from Chris Semk, also U. reniformis from Dean Cook
Flower
Ceph seedling from John Brittnacher, 2 years old, my apologies for the out-of-focus stuff

Phalaenopsis Corona 'Lemon Bomb' from Judy Picciotto. And yes, it smells like fresh lemons or pine-sol.
Laelia purpurata var. werkhauserii 'Blue Sky' from Tony Whittaker. Currently my favorite orchid (of the month)

NOID Vanda from friends at SBG (if you have any idea, I'm all ears!)

Last edited:
The coerulea form of Laelia purpurata var. werkhauserii is truly astonishing - one of the most beautiful of the Cattleya alliance. Wonderful.

Whoa, how'd I miss all your nice moss? Nice Moss!!!

The coerulea form of Laelia purpurata var. werkhauserii is truly astonishing - one of the most beautiful of the Cattleya alliance. Wonderful.
Our taste in plants is quite similar. That Laelia is mesmerizing.
Whoa, how'd I miss all your nice moss? Nice Moss!!!
Thanks--the moss is 100% accidental but over the years I've convinced the researchers to let the moss be. I call them Mosshrooms! That was ~5 years ago, and now they're actually studied for bryophyte classes. The actual, intended project in that room involves cell wall research on poplar trees. Recently led to a very lucrative patent.

The trick to that moss: I bump the temperature control down very low in that room so that the cooling pads run all the time. Cool and humid (think Pacific Northwest) year-round, even here in GA. The trees dry out very fast, and that humidity not only buys me some time watering them, but keeps the moss lush!

Last edited:
Orchids are going strong!

Pomatocalpa spicata

Dendrophylax funalis, the Ghost Orchid genus

Den. hercoglossum

Coelogyne x Burfordiense, the Black-Lipped Orchid, the largest orchid in the collection. It stuns me every year!

Aerides odorata

NOID Laelia

Vanda denisoniana

Dioscorea sylvatica, making its way up the hangers of two Lecanopteris, from Randy Story

Begonia luxurians (Thanks Randy!). I literally cannot wait to prank undergrads with the leaf shape.

Disterigma rimbachii (Thanks Chris!)

Justicia carnea

Begonia 'Mr. Karutz'

CPs in the next installment....

Last edited:
Nice pics Kevin! How's that Dactylopsis doing for you? Going dormant yet?

Unfortunately it didn't make it =(. The little bump it received in shipping started a nasty infection. I tried to amputate, but the patient expired. =) No worries though.

Looking great, Kevin! The NOID Laelia you posted is almost definitely a Cattleya bowringiana hybrid, or it may actually be the species itself. (Though it has been redesignated Guarianthe bowringiana by some.) see: http://www.orchidspecies.com/cattbowringia.htm

Last edited:
Wow, nice stuff! I guess you don't need a piece of my Den. hercoglossum, unless you want another clone. Got time for me to swing by tomorrow? I'll send you an email.

Going by the flowers, I'd concur with 'NOID Laelia' probably being Guar. bowringiana. What does the plant look like?

Thanks so much for the ID, guys! Knew I could count on y'all. There are actually very few of the older unidentified orchids now, and both of you have been significant in lending me a hand with this. And Nat, I won't be around at lunchtime tomorrow (friend taking Rachel out for bday) but otherwise looking forward to it!

And now we enter the more familiar territory of CPs....
I've been waiting for over a week to get open pitchers for this shot, but couldn't entirely wait. I present the monstrosity that is..... N. x dyeriana!!!!

After 5 years of working with this plant, I've finally shot it off into space.

Largest pitcher

Our second x dyeriana plant

D. dichotoma "Giant Form"

D. dichrosepala ssp. dichrosepala "Fish Road Track"

D. allantostigma

I honestly forget but think they might be Paul's roseana.

Can't remember; probably more allantostigma. I had a crapton.

D. admirabilis "Floating" (Thanks SgtSarracenia!) I'll be sending plenty of seed to ICPS very soon.

a veritable army of D. aliciae from Mr. Barden

sent to me as D. dielsiana; I'm not going to pretend I know ZA Drosera taxonomy

capensis 'Red Leaf'

Full set of dews. Actually need a few more to fill in the gaps.

maxima

'Tarnok'

flava var. maxima, F1, Berkeley Co., SC, collected for the Sarracenia family tree research that just made it into CPN

'Red Dragon' (Thanks, Dean!)

'Royal Red' (Thanks, Dean!)

green truncata from ABG

And now for Paul:

fusca x maxima, Clone 1 (I think my fav)

Clone 2

Clone 3

N. bical's first upper pitcher, 5-year-old plant

Full view of the insane Nepenthes beasts duking it out

Wow that pot is completely filled with Drosera admirabilis! Really nice Drosera setup.

The "dielsiana" is almost certainly natalensis if the plants match the appearance. And that dyeriana is huge...

OMG. That is amazing. WOW!! I love that moss, the ferns, the orchids, the tree ferns, the cycads...man!! I would love to be able to grow a mound of moss with a stump and a fern growing like that. SO AMAZING.

Was that intentional? the mound of moss? is the moss on a stone? or is it just the shape of the moss that was pruned? how is it forming a bulging ball?

Last edited:

albomarginata, first clone

2nd clone

'Rebecca Soper'

Land of Pings

Land of Flytraps

First bical pitcher apparently wants to be a cute-widdle-cuddwy-dwarf-cartoon-vampire-looking thing.

Oh my gosh that bical is adorable.

Cutest Nepenthes ever.

12063580_916074468461578_5040915901755323355_n.jpg

A chorus of Aristolochia gigantea var. brasiliensis
12038436_916074528461572_7438351783453521948_n.jpg

Believe it or not, not one of these blossoms are in the previous photo. The thing is literally loaded with over a dozen blooms!

Back