What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I go to a public conservatory and they don't hold a candle to you. I shall strive to have a greenhouse like yours one day.

I go to a public conservatory and they don't hold a candle to you. I shall strive to have a greenhouse like yours one day.

Thank you very much--that is very rewarding feedback to receive. You know, take all the plants out and it's just a glass box. What I mean by that is that there's potential to "up the ante" anywhere. Even a small growchamber can be amazing. I got to the greenhouse here and found a bunch of Coleus, and then I threw them out and collected/planted what I thought was cool. And then I shared it with people and tried to make it relevant, simple as that. I wish you luck in your own journey, too!

In other news, it's been a crrrazzzy past few weeks at the greenhouse, and fortunately the students are now out on spring break! Means I get to breathe, and a temporary reprieve from touring them around! So--I shot more photos!

First bloom on 'Carolina Yellow Jacket.' This plant's breeder created a lot of controversy on facebook last year, forever tarnishing my personal opinion of him, but the plant is interesting. I'm guessing S. rosea luteola was used, by color of the petals. I went all-green in the cross: pollen came from a nice flava maxima from Berkeley Co., SC.

Thought it was a cute idea--get the ant's eye view. S. flava var. maxima, Berkeley Co., SC, F1 plant.

One of the Berkeley Co., SC flava var. maximas.

Another clone. I don't bother to tag clones. Way too labor-intensive to track.
Yet another. Happy to say that even Phil F. kept a few of the ones I sent him from this batch, and he's got a pretty epic reputation for composting "loser" seedlings!

More to come later!

Back