What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oh wow...I guess rest is all that is needed and not necessarily really cold full on dormancy! That is interesting to know. Especially with a potential double-decade worth of evidence that it doesn't shorten the plants' life span.

Great pics and ultimate jealousy on your work environment! :drool:

So, I keep promising to take more photos. All I've shot so far is what I personally curate. We have an entire separate greenhouse chock full of everything you could imagine. Here's the first room where we keep the primitive plant collection. It represents ~3 billion years of land plant evolution. Almost everything since algae has developed in the past 450 million years.

We have more Welwitschia mirabilis than almost anyone else in the world. I don't get to grow that greenhouse but I have gotten to raise the babies we get each year. Sometimes a male and female cone and we get up to 30 seedlings.

http://s960.photobucket.com/user/kevintheplantman/library/Greenhouse

Last edited:
That N. x Dyeriana is beautiful! Hopefully someday I will find somebody with a cutting of that to spare. Such a lovely greenhouse. :D

What are you gonna do when that Cycad pops the roof? :O

These are awesome pictures. I can't believe how many Welwitschia you have! It must be a blast working with all those cool plants.

Yeah... that's my dream job. How do people get into these things?

Your plants and flowers look beautiful. Do you work with plant tissue culture?

Your plants and flowers look beautiful. Do you work with plant tissue culture?
Thank you! Unfortunately, I have no experience with tissue culture. I am considering going back to grad school for horticulture, however. I would really like to understand it in greater detail. I work around a lot of scientists and have seen quite a few labs, so I am at least partially familiar with the techniques. I just don't have the income to invest in any of the chemicals or equipment. I have a couple good ebooks on tissue culture and you may have inspired me to actually read them though =D.

Last edited:
What are you gonna do when that Cycad pops the roof? :O
We already had a tree fern die because it got too tall. Our oldest cycads arrived in the early 90s--a university in Florida shipped its entire cycad collection to conservatories around the country 1992 to protect them from Hurricane Andrew. It's definitely something we worry about. There isn't a good way to deal with that situation--honestly, no one ever thought they'd get that big after 60+ years!

These are awesome pictures. I can't believe how many Welwitschia you have! It must be a blast working with all those cool plants.
Thanks! The Welwitschias are sort of our pride and joy. We've figured out a lot about how to grow em and I usually raise the babies whenever we're able to make crosses. Best thing I've ever done, horticulturally. Crossed it off my bucket list!

Yeah... that's my dream job. How do people get into these things?
It was a mixture of giving away CP seeds, volunteering, working part-time for 6 months with a wife freshly laid off from real estate, being almost completely broke, and finally landing a position with my fingers crossed. I've never hoped that hard for anything in all my life. I graduated in horticulture back when Georgia was hit with severe drought, and 80% of the nurseries and landscapers went out of business. It was harrowing and I was almost forced to abandon my dreams of working with plants altogether.

Coelogyne x Bufordiense, the Black-Lipped Orchid

Paph delanatii

Paph Maudiae-type

What I believe is the BE maxima once sold as eymae? Anyway, it's slithering along the floor under the CP bench!

N. maxima x fusca, courtesy of Paul Barden--check out the speckling!!

John Brittnacher's D. regia

Crappy shot of the BE maxima -- someone please help me ID this if you know!!

Neps hitting the summer growth spurt. I am aiming for a pitcher canopy this year.

This is why I recommend feeding Neps. See the nice, perfectly green leaves? This is one plant and I have pitchered every single leaf at once. The leaves stay green and do not senesce for a whole year! It's the result of well-timed feeding.

N. dyeriana beginning the epic climb that will turn my CP room over the next years into a jungle.

This BE maxima is almost 10 feet long and begins in the hanging basket below the bench. Mix of Turface, orchid bark, and a custom pine bark mix we make at the greenhouse. Has 5 pitchers under the bench, 3 at the level of the Sarrs, and 4 hanging on the wire above the Sarrs. 4 years old from a cutting from my friend.

'Tarnok'

M. tuberosa

S. alata (UGA clone)

S. rubra ssp rubra (UGA clone)

'Judith Hindle'

Sorry... I love the bical. Love love love love love!

N. x ventrata

M. tuberosa

The MONSTER PITCHER from N. dyeriana. Biggest one this plant has made in its lifetime of 20+ years.

Great collection of very healthy plants - congrats!
I will be looking to trade in the upcoming months in order to achieve a better mix of Drosera, Dionaea, Sarracenia, and Nepenthes. We also lack Genlisea, Cephalotus, and Darlingtonia.
Looks like you could use a display tank of U. humboldtii to show off the large bladders (as well as the beautiful flowers & cool paddle-shaped leaves).

Amazing specimens of N. x Dyeriana and maxima - Gunung Lumut! Well grown, healthy, and beautiful pitchers. Nepenthes always do better in a greenhouse, of course, but it takes skill and dedication to raise specimens like that :)

Great collection of very healthy plants - congrats!
Looks like you could use a display tank of U. humboldtii to show off the large bladders (as well as the beautiful flowers & cool paddle-shaped leaves).

I am really interested in this idea. As you can see, we've only got 2 terrestrial Utrics and there's just no way to show them off. I'd have to uproot and destroy the planting, and even then the bladders just aren't substantial enough. It's really a shame.

The entire CP collection consisted of ~20 species of all genera when I started. Since we don't get a budget for new plants, I brought in my own seeds, divisions, and traded whenever I could for new stuff. It's somewhat more cobbled together than I'd like but we probably have ~100 species now.

Slack-jawed leuco F1 from Splinter Hill Bog, Baldwin Co., AL

Sibling leuco F1, Baldwin Co., AL--it's SNOW WHITE!!

Summer flush of 'Judith Hindle'

Ancient N. ventricosa

THE MAXIMA HAS ALMOST TOUCHED THE ROOF!

B. liniflora

Baby Cephs from JB

N. x dyeriana finally is climbing!

D. regia from John Brittnacher, propagated from root cuttings in December

minor F1s from SC

And now for some non-carnies!

Clerodendrum ugandense or Blue Butterfly Bush

Plumbago

Myrmecodia tuberosa getting to be a fatty =)

Stylidium debile from SgtSarracenia, received as a few rosettes last fall

Blue Twinkle African Violet from Dragonseye (look at what it's become!!)

Angelonia

And lastly, one of the Ghost Orchids, Dendrophylax funalis. It's an orchid where the all stem growth is reduced and the roots are the only photosynthetic organs. And it's starting to feel up its neighbor.....

Last edited:
That ghost orchid is awesome! Also Stylidium is totally a carnivore.

Back