What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes Grow Chamber and Lighting Advice

I'm looking to set up fairly basic, low tech grow chamber for Nepenthes in my apartment. I have some highland neps growing in a greenhouse where I work, but low day temps and a short photoperiod is making their growth come to a screeching halt. I had originally planned to get a terrarium, but I feel that it would be much cheaper for me to make my own, and there don't seem to be any pre-made terrariums in the dimensions that I want. My plan was to make a frame out of PVC pipe, and cover it in some kind of plastic material to keep in humidity. I see pics of similar designs covered in a soft clear plastic material resembling shower curtain, what is this stuff?

Lighting-wise, I am looking for something cheap/basic. The grow chamber will be placed in front of a large, south facing windowsill, so lighting will just be supplemental. I live at a fairly high latitude, so winter photoperiods are very short. Currently it gets dark at 4pm. I grew sundews/pings under lights back when I was in high school, but I forgot exactly what I used then, and I believe lighting technology has changed a bit. I hear a lot about T5HO lights being a good place to start. Are all T5HOs the same spectrum, or do I have to select a specific spectrum/combination?

Back