What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My first ever terrarium build!

Hi all. I'm brand new here, and yesterday I started the build on my first ever terrarium. Since I only had one pair of hands, it was a little difficult to put the whole thing together last night, so I just finished with the last panel a couple of minutes ago. I'm only planning on growing some moss, and want to create an almost Zen Garden-ish kind of landscape in my tank. I may however change my mind later on and introduce some other plants. I'm not sure if it is really neccessary, but I am going to include a fan to pull fresh air into the tank every so often, and also to keep fogging of the glass at bay.

Here then is my first picture of the tank I have just completed (it is 250 litres):

20131113_162310_zps6d186e8b.jpg

I came across a fairly large patch of moss the other day, and today I collected some and brought it home. I wet it and this is what it looks like - is this Spagnum moss?

20131113_162711_zps5d4e3179.jpg

I doubt it, looks like some of the weed species that I get occasionally. Sphagnum has very particular needs for growing well, you're not likely to just find it on a walk.

That's not sphagnum moss, I hate to say. Those sorts of mosses are pretty but usually they are found in an epiphytic situation, I think.

Well then. I finished my tank, and all that goes with it. Finished my planting today. Time will tell if the moss will grow. :)

20131119_160654_zps76b69e3e.jpg

If you actually plan on putting carnivores in there, take the moss out now. Most mosses other than sphagnum will either choke out or poison carnivores, there's a reason you don't see them growing with other species of moss very often in the wild.

That is going to look nice once the moss settles in!

That looks great! I love building my own terrariums, and I think this one came out really well! Did you cut the glass yourself?

That looks great! I love building my own terrariums, and I think this one came out really well! Did you cut the glass yourself?

Thanks so much! I had the glass cut to size at a local glas supplier. And the lid is polycarbonate plastic which I ordered and collected. :)

Nice work. i have a video or two on my YouTube site
uphwizz is the address showing me build my last terrarium .
Mine are on their sides with a lip to hold back water. and sliding doors.
Your tank looks fantastic post a few more pick in a month so we see the progress.

Back