What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinions on apothecary jar terrariums

Hi

I saw this on Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/CustomCarnivorousTerrariums
1545937_721768114514684_794845496_n_zps525afdec.jpg

I was wondering what others thought about this.

I'm assuming you would have to take the lids off a lot to get some airflow.

Would it be hard to fluctuate the water table?? Are there any tricks?

I do have some of these jars but I keep my plants in pots inside of them and rotate my plants so they don't sit in stagnant air too long.

Any ideas/opinions/tips.

Thank you ^_^

Assuming these are grown inside, it would require a lot of extra attention to bring the Sarracenia containing jars through the necessary dormancy. The mexican ping could probably do alright if you opened it for feeding and the like occasionally.

These sort of things can work but I would never buy one pre-built, its more than likely they are pruning the plants to look nice in order to sale them and they are the completely wrong species to put in this sort of a setup. Take a close look through there photos and you start to see some evidence of this. I don't see a lot of evidence that these plants were grown in there more that they were placed in there. Do any of these look even a few months old? Its hard to tell from the photos but they look newly planted and lack the "problems" that quickly arise after a few months. These sort of things remind me of the Lowes death cubes, you can grow really nice CPs in them but we have all seen what happens to most of them.

There are a lot of CPs that would work really well like this, right now I have some U. sandersonii completely sealed up in a 2.5g tank sitting on a windowsill. Its been unopened for years.

Mobile has a nice little jar setup here http://www.terraforums.com/forums/s...campbelliana-growing-on-a-car-cleaning-sponge

A non CP jar, same concept http://www.phalaenopsis.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11060

If you raise the base so it would be open about 1/4" and placed a small fan to blow air through that opening you could probably get good results with some tweaking while keeping the look.

I would agree with the shared skeptical opinions. I really wouldn't be surprised if all plants were grown in a greenhouse and potted up just moments before this picture.

That is how I would do it, if I was selling that product.

There are a lot of CPs that would work really well like this, right now I have some U. sandersonii completely sealed up in a 2.5g tank sitting on a windowsill. Its been unopened for years.

I bet the U. sandersonii look amazing in there when they bloom. Do you have a picture of your setup? I can't believe it's unopened for years!

With the fans added on it seems like it ends up taking more space and isn't as 'pretty' as the jars without them. Perhaps open terrariums and greenhouses are just much better. I love my plants too much to let them die just because I tried to make them pretty in jars.. Heh.

Thanks for the feedback!

The Queensland 3 actually do ok when grown like this as long as they're not exposed to too much light. D.prolifera will need to be trimmed back frequently though.

Okay.. Thank you Cthulhu I don't have any of those guys but maybe one day in the future!

I bet the U. sandersonii look amazing in there when they bloom. Do you have a picture of your setup? I can't believe it's unopened for years!

The problem with not opening things for years is that they don't look amazing :) No airflow, no ferts, no bugs, nothing but what is in there already. To be fair this 2.5g was placed along side another tank and was only getting indirect light for about a year, a few months ago I moved it over to a windowsill.

Side view, ready for eating! For those wondering the fork is what I used to "harvest" the last batch I mailed out and my concern for this setup shown through by me leaving it in there and not removing it.

DSC_0046 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Top view, dusty glass top!

DSC_0047 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

For comparison, here is an Exo-terra I actually take care of, opened every week, watered, lightly fert, ect.

Utricularia sanderonii 'Blue' by randallsimpson, on Flickr

I mailed off most of it early Nov 2013 (90%+ of it, it was really bare mud) and here is it now growing much faster than I expected.

DSC_0049 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Beautiful! All of your terrariums contains Utricularia? I've not been a fan of them much since I've started collecting CP.
But this makes me think otherwise, it's so green and pretty!

Thanks! Not all of them but most of them do, only one species per terrarium usually so I don't end up with mixed Utrics.

A lot of the Utrics can look really nice when grown well.

I know I have one Utric for sure because it's marked with the capensis I bought from California Carnivores. It's called U.bisquamata
I just repotted my capensis though so I don't know how well the Utric is doing.
I think I have other ones but I just am not sure what they are.

I was reading about how U. bisquamata and D. capensis grow in South Africa and would like to build a South African terrarium. Right now I have a tank with D. capensis w/ U. bisquamata, D. Regia in there and need to get the temperature a little higher. And lower my humidity.. All of the plants are in their own saucers.

Back