What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long is "yet" ?

If it is less than 2 weeks, and nothing is going brown, I wouldn't worry too much at all.

Thanks I should of been more specific hahah.. But it's been less than 2 weeks, probably about 1 week, I wrote it down in one of my books..
It's not going brown yet so YAY!!!! :)

They are completely inside the terrarium, my goal is to move the air inside the terrarium around without lowering the humidity much.

They will be on 24/7, but you could get good results with just daytime running.

I've noticed that when I use a little fan I have for the house near the top of the tank, some of the capensis lose their dew.

Also, do you want the light fixture inside your tank? Covering the top with a glass or plexiglass won't block your light source and will allow humidity to rise.

Will T5 lights get too hot for plexiglass?

I've noticed that when I use a little fan I have for the house near the top of the tank, some of the capensis lose their dew.

Angle the fan so less airflow is hitting the tank or place a small object in the way of the fan to reduce the airflow going in. Dew loss is "generally" a humidity issue, although it can be many other things.

Will T5 lights get too hot for plexiglass?

They can, I have 4 difference plexiglass pieces all under the same T5s and only 1 of the pieces shows signs of melting. The lower quality of the batch I guess.

Yeah there can be some warping. Nothing worth not having the plexiglass for, since plexiglass is cheaper than glass.

Are you resting the lights ON the plexiglass or just above it?

And I am glad your dielsiana has been transplanted less than two weeks. When you disturb the plant with transplanting it takes some time for the plant to get adjusted and growing and dewing up again. No worries about it.

Also, some older leaves will go brown, it is the growing new leaves going brown that would be any sign of concern. Most likely, in another week or so you will have some awesome growing dielsianas in there! :D

FWIW, the recommended "Cold Spot" temp of T5HO is between 45-50c, recommended maximum is 100c
This cold spot temp is typically reached when the bulb is in an ambient temp of 95f

"Cold spot" is where the excess mercury condenses inside the bulb, its the coolest part of the bulb... on T5's this is usually about center IIRC
On T8 and T12 the Cold Spot is closer to the ends

Outside of this recommended range, efficiency and output drops considerably.... T5HO by their very nature should run pretty dang hot.

When designing a setup, careful consideration should be given to this if you want all the efficiency you can get from your bulbs

The art is keeping the bulbs hot enough while the plants stay cool and humid enough

Last edited:
Yeah there can be some warping. Nothing worth not having the plexiglass for, since plexiglass is cheaper than glass.

Are you resting the lights ON the plexiglass or just above it?

And I am glad your dielsiana has been transplanted less than two weeks. When you disturb the plant with transplanting it takes some time for the plant to get adjusted and growing and dewing up again. No worries about it.

Also, some older leaves will go brown, it is the growing new leaves going brown that would be any sign of concern. Most likely, in another week or so you will have some awesome growing dielsianas in there! :D

Right now I don't have a lid so the lights are just hanging from some scrap wood pieces.
I was thinking about making a lid and plexiglass seems like a cheap and easy material for it.

FWIW, the recommended "Cold Spot" temp of T5HO is between 45-50c, recommended maximum is 100c
This cold spot temp is typically reached when the bulb is in an ambient temp of 95f

"Cold spot" is where the excess mercury condenses inside the bulb, its the coolest part of the bulb... on T5's this is usually about center IIRC
On T8 and T12 the Cold Spot is closer to the ends

Outside of this recommended range, efficiency and output drops considerably.... T5HO by their very nature should run pretty dang hot.

When designing a setup, careful consideration should be given to this if you want all the efficiency you can get from your bulbs

The art is keeping the bulbs hot enough while the plants stay cool and humid enough

Thank you. This will help me when I start designing a lid.
I honestly didn't think about the efficiency of my bulbs.. I just figured I could put them on top and when they burn out I'll replace them, ha...

An ambient temp of 95f?? The bulbs temperature or the environment around the bulb(my tank)?

How would you measure the temperature of the cold spot?

I hope I'm understanding this correctly..

IR spot thermometers work, but you have to be aware of something called "spot size ratio"
But I wouldn't worry too much about specific temps...

Just try not to cool the bulbs with your PC fans, nor do you want to overheat them by restricting airflow by setting them directly on glass...
at a CST of 100c output drops to 60%

the 95f is the desired ambient air temp around the bulbs themselves

Okay, thanks I wasn't thinking about the fans cooling the lights.. Since I don't have the PC fans yet and I'm using a little heater with just the fan option. Its aimed just over the top of the tank and onto the hoods of the lights..

It might be cooling them too much huh?

My boyfriend built me a tank stand out of metal!!
B4B8397F-3CD1-4137-9E52-93CD76270704_zpsjqnsmusr.jpg

32612FDD-EB6B-449E-A390-0D26EBAF2014_zpsawbvmyoi.jpg

Not the best pics in the middle of the night but you get the idea.

Okay, thanks I wasn't thinking about the fans cooling the lights.. Since I don't have the PC fans yet and I'm using a little heater with just the fan option. Its aimed just over the top of the tank and onto the hoods of the lights..

It might be cooling them too much huh?

Meh, keep it simple...

Just don't point the fan at the lights and don't set the lights on glass or restrict their natural airflow.
A well designed luminare should provide the proper ambient temps for the bulbs when installed in normal room conditions.

temp_chart1.gif

:p

Meh, keep it simple...

Just don't point the fan at the lights and don't set the lights on glass or restrict their natural airflow.
A well designed luminare should provide the proper ambient temps for the bulbs when installed in normal room conditions.

temp_chart1.gif

:p

Super cool. Thank you!

I've noticed the sphagnum moss pieces that are on top of the soil substrate dry out quickly.

I might remove any pieces that are on top, because when they dry out it just looks blahhhh...

Good news is there are new leaves developing on the planted D. dielsiana. Still haven't seen any dew on them but at least theres new growth!

Good news is there are new leaves developing on the planted D. dielsiana. Still haven't seen any dew on them but at least theres new growth!
Woot! Yeah at least new growth! This means all is well :D

I like the stand, very nice!

(On a side note - don't the lights from the terrarium get annoying being next to the TV?)

Woot! Yeah at least new growth! This means all is well :D

I like the stand, very nice!

(On a side note - don't the lights from the terrarium get annoying being next to the TV?)

Regarding your TV comment, I'd have to say, YES!! Very much!

In the house we rent, there are no lights in the living room. So we have one LED light which I'd say is more of a spotlight/reading light.. And I really need more light in our living room, so I thought great place for the terrarium! Now, the problem I'm having is rearranging the room to make it all look good together. So for right now it's sitting there.

I can't figure out how to make this room look good! Ugh!

Some of the potted plants that I have in the terrarium are still in saucers but some I've been setting into the soil until they can be planted but they seem to dry out so much..

Will it be better when I plant them or is the soil under the pots is too dry???

The D. dielsiana that I planted into the terrarium, have just started to produce the dewy tentacles!!!!!!!

Yay! Now, I might try to plant a couple more dielsiana.

I've unplugged my heat mat because it seems when it's plugged in the humidity leaves get too high. Now without it they stay around 68-75%

My D. burmannii is still doing AMAZIng in the terrarium but its started to put up a stalk so I might cut that off very soon!

The D. capensis don't like it too much in the terrarium, they seem to like my windowsill situation much more.

We put the lights up and out of the tank. I'll take better pictures during the daytime when you can see it better.
3798A39A-9E93-44FB-9273-B83912D065D6_zps2xvhrvgb.jpg

E1891A9C-9D2F-4AB6-84AA-E590653EC376_zps8jpojvra.jpg

Nice pictures! Is there any reason that a plant is growing in a Sprite can? Does it grow better that way?

Back