What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Probably didn't have a Mountain "Dew" can handy :>}

hahaha, I didn't have a small pot at the time and wanted to start a leaf cutting so I used what I had :p
Seems to work! Although, I try not to do it too much because the the can might start to leach metals into the soil.

Update:

D. burmannii loves my tank.
D. capensis HATES IT! But when I take them out and put them back on the windowsill they do fine.. So maybe my tank is too hot for them??
Nepenthes love my tank as well..
D. dielsiana is still struggling!

Update:

D. capensis HATES IT! But when I take them out and put them back on the windowsill they do fine.. So maybe my tank is too hot for them??
!
That's weird. I thought Drosera capensis was tolerant of a wide range of growing conditions. Sounds like yours is quite picky.

Mine is very picky! I have a lot of these capensis that only like my windowsill.
I've tried my alba, red narrow, and wide leaf in the terrarium and they always lose dew and never seem to gain it back. Then once I put them back in my windowsill they THRIVE!

D. dielsiana STILL STRUGGLING!!!!!!
D. burmannii still loving life!

Put a Cephalotus Follicularis in the tank to see if it likes it.. No progress yet.. But no decline either..

D. trinveria babies started from seed are coming up. They are still in a separate dome ( plastic baggie) inside of the terrarium...

Started some D. marston dragon, D. spatulata and D. cisitiflora babies in the tank as well but they are in a container to keep the medium wetter ( a 'soupy' mixture ) The babies were started in test tubes from leaf cuttings..

And... most of my Nepenthes seem to love the tank but I don't plan on keeping them in there once I start to plant my Droseras in there..

D. natalensis (aka often mislabeled as dielsiana) likes conditions similar to capensis, they come from the same region. Possibly the reason why yours are struggling may be the same reason the capes don't like the tank.

D. natalensis (aka often mislabeled as dielsiana) likes conditions similar to capensis, they come from the same region. Possibly the reason why yours are struggling may be the same reason the capes don't like the tank.

Thanks!! I still have the main plant in a pot so I can take that out and test it on my windowsill.
I only planted 2 small rosettes in the tank..

We will see what happens!!!

Thanks again!

terrarium_zps866e5223.jpg

Nice to see it progressing! That moctezumae looks a little weird to me; I've never seen one with leaves so flat. Are you sure it is moctezumae? The leaves are usually long and spindly.

The tag actually says P. moctezumae x gigantea but the permanent marker is wearing off. I might have to use one of the newer tags I've been making.

My burmannii didn't like it, I guess. I just tried with an offshoot from the mother plant I have. Just an experiment to see what would happen.. hah, and I guess it happened... in 1.5 days...
9BF826EC-7E69-42B7-8426-4CFED312527E_zpsxonjliti.jpg

The mother
CDFBEF8C-F812-4150-BCA8-08C171EB79AA_zpskdaqzm0y.jpg

My dielsiana still holding on....
5515AD25-6581-4694-89A5-9E92B320D23C_zpsg8zavg1z.jpg

Planted a D. marston dragon in my terrarium as an experiment.
470FEBC7-5C09-41EE-B983-A3A3B26EDD3A_zpsjm4bzlex.jpg

4A960412-FA07-4708-B9FC-2B74E0257851_zps5zjzdnan.jpg

dielsiana FINALLY

Any tips on watering techniques for planted terrariums?

I usually just use a spray bottle and saturate the whole thing when it starts to look dry.. But the Drosera don't like the water on their tentacles that much! Ha, takes like 2 days to get dew again!

Also, incase anyone actually reads this thread... Here's an update..

New light! Much brighter! It's a compact fluorescent with a reflector hood. Fits right on top, but it's a little gaudy. And I have to move the terrarium to a new spot in the house because now it's just way too bright where it's at!!!
light_zps09c56eaa.jpg

The terrarium is a bit unorganized and messy but it's still in transition, trying to figure out how everything works and how the plants respond. Any suggestions on layout or organization would be great!

CC852823-ECC4-437A-B0AF-E14B6263DF12_zpsgryccffv.jpg
76046D83-793C-42D1-A002-FA7F0A57FFB4_zpsjmxhevgv.jpg
26D060AE-3221-42A7-B919-D4375823AD86_zpsrm8gu7jg.jpg
E07B5B8D-85AA-49FC-BB81-B5FFD77C3DFC_zpsklntdo8b.jpg
CF6024A0-455A-4F42-8FE6-56301FA32EB1_zpscg2bzxsk.jpg

I'll take any critique! Help it improve, FOR THE PLANTS~

I have a false-bottom setup that is somewhat 'self-watering' (For non-cp plants, but it would work the same, I think)

The false bottom is lifted on legs, about 2 inches from the bottom of the terrarium. A piece of rope goes from the bottom of the terrarium (draped across the floor under the false bottom, up through the false bottom, and rests under the soil).

There is a tube in one corner that goes through it all, so I can pour water directly into the bottom of the terrarium, which functions as a reservoir. The rope wicks it up into the soil.

I might be able to find some pictures...

Back