What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My New Giant Pot for Cp's!

So I just filled up my pot with 50/50 Peat, perlite and I think that I found the spot it will go. However I don't know if the spot is good enough...

Its on the south western side of my house partially shaded from the screen fence. I tried to put the pot out in full sun completely exposed but the soil temp got up to 120 degrees F! So I put it in this spot where it wouldn't be so exposed in the sun. But I worry it won't be enough sun for healthy growth and good coloration. I will just give it a shot and hope for the best! ???

but if you guys have any input it would be much appreciated!:-O

Here's some pics of the pot,

Here is some of the plants going in the pot...

I've got a plastic half-barrel type pot exactly like yours. It's been a good place to grow sarrs, flytraps and sundews for several years now. 'Looks like you are starting out with nice plants.

LOL! that pot is HUGEEE! btw that's the same bag of sand I use for my CPs (washed obviously)

just an input, I would start by placing the pot in a shadier spot and slowly move it towards more sun perhaps as seasons change. During the summer it does get HOT here in so cal, but also UV light is abundant and bounces and reflects everywhere, especially with the sun position directly above. so I dont think having it in an indirect place will make it get less sun. Then in the winter months u can move the pot more outward to get more light exposure since the sun is more towards the south.

Last edited:
I don't use pots that big, I wouldn't be strong enough to carry them.

Dig a hole and put it in the ground....that should keep it from getting to hot.

I don't use pots that big, I wouldn't be strong enough to carry them.
You can easily use pots that heavy if you get a hand cart.

Also, the larger the pot the more you maintain cooler soil/root temps. IMO there is much less chance of that massive pot heating up than the several smaller ones. Plus, if your peat is wet and evaporating water, this will also keep the plants cool. Was it dry or wet when you measured the temperature? I've got Sarrs in a similar half-barrel-type planter and they haven't skipped a beat for 2 years in full Georgia heat.

Last edited:
You can easily use pots that heavy if you get a hand cart.

Also, the larger the pot the more you maintain cooler soil/root temps. IMO there is much less chance of that massive pot heating up than the several smaller ones. Plus, if your peat is wet and evaporating water, this will also keep the plants cool. Was it dry or wet when you measured the temperature? I've got Sarrs in a similar half-barrel-type planter and they haven't skipped a beat for 2 years in full Georgia heat.

Not exactly a plus for me considering I grow my plants indoors. Also, a cart cannot defeat stairs.

Last edited:
I love using giant pots, but they need a lot of water. I'm using 2-foot diameter pots for a Sarracenia flava and a Drosophyllum, and I often find the flava pot going dry even with daily watering.

good points, and if I have issues with watering/ heat etc... then I have a TON of soil to use on smaller pots! :-D

Back