What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zath's CP Collection

Time for an update:

U. calycifida 'Yog-Sothoth'
u-calycifida-yog-sothoth-8-21-14-alt.jpg

S. psittacina
s-psittacina-8-21-14.jpg

And...I'm happy about this one...

g-tent-full-open.jpg

:p

Finally did what I should've done a couple weeks ago, and made a (hopefully) comfortable home for the Neps.

Psst...see all that empty space in there? lol.

I did add loevres and put a small fan in there to generate circulation, while hopefully retaining a lot of humidity. I hung a 2-foot T8 fixture at the top of the tent. It's not super bright, but I'm hoping that's a good thing, lol.

I'm hoping I'll be able to overwinter most or all of my dews in there, so the lighting might get played with. It's wide enough that, if I wanted, I could lay 4-foot fixtures across the top shelves...but I wouldn't be able to stand up in there anymore.

Do you have to worry about getting the carpet wet?

Do you have to worry about getting the carpet wet?

That was a small oversight. I'm going to get a little help with that one though, but all it amounts to is getting a dropcloth or two underneath everything.

Until then...I'll just be very, very careful, lol. And if anyone thought to ask if the table would be alright...it was like $10 at a discount store bought specifically to house plants, so I planned on it getting wet and screwed up, lol.

Lol, you could give the table a nice coat of waterproofing urethane if you like the table.

In regards to the carpet you could just put a plastic table cloth on the floor underneath, that's what I did for a little bit. They're pretty cheap and I'm sure you can pick one up at a grocery store or something.

Always fun watching people grow the obsession bigger and bigger =)

It's very amusing to me how alike we all are. Everything 100% dedicated to the happiness of the plants, no matter what!

Always fun watching people grow the obsession bigger and bigger =)

It's very amusing to me how alike we all are. Everything 100% dedicated to the happiness of the plants, no matter what!

Happy plants make for happy growers! :)

...unless their heating, lighting, and cooling needs are forcing you to eat ramen for every meal and recycle shopping bags as waterproof socks for your leaky shoes...

Pretty sure some people here would still find that situation acceptable, lol.

Today brought what should be the first in a few days of plant arrivals. I'm extremely happy with the new Sarr. While it doesn't have cultivar status, it goes by S. x 'Medusa'.

s-medusa-full.jpg

s-medusa.jpg

Love those hoods! :D

This is supposed to be D. multifida 'extrema'.........Somebody please tell me they are -supposed- to be the spitting image of D. binata 'red dwarf' when young, and I just need to be patient to see the multiple branchings. :/

d-multifida-extrema.jpg

Its entirely possible that you have multifida extrema, yes. These binata types don't express their full capacity for "splitting" until they are mature and fully acclimated. My Marston Dragon rarely ever forks like its supposed to - at least not like the photos I've seen.

recycle shopping bags as waterproof socks for your leaky shoes...

Now that is a good idea, if a bit noisy. ;)

Loving that new Sarr, that is gorgeous.

Been awhile, but I finally got around to taking some update pics. In no particular order:

N. ventricosa seedlings
n-ventricosa-11-15-14.jpg

n-ventricosa-pitcher-11-15-14.jpg

N. maxima
n-maxima-11-15-14.jpg

N. ventricosa x (thorelli x aristolochiodes)
n-ventricosa-x-thorelli-x-aristolochiodes-panorama-11-15-14.jpg

n-ventricosa-x-thorelli-x-aristolochiodes-pitcher-11-15-14.jpg

D. multifida 'extrema' (hard to make out, but there's 8 points on the topmost leaf)
d-multifida-extrema-11-15-14.jpg

Some Sarr seedlings. The ones not germinating in the middle are S. jonesii :(
sarr-seedlings-11-15-14.jpg

S. psittacina
s-psittacina-11-15-14.jpg

D. sp. 'Lantau Island'
d-sp-lantau-island-11-15-14.jpg

U. calycifida 'Asenathe Waite'
u-calycifida-asenathe-waite-11-15-14.jpg

'Akai Ryu' leaf pullings
vft-akai-ryu-pulling-11-15-14.jpg

Very healthy-looking plants! I have some jonesii from the ICPS stratifying right now... how long did you leave em in? Just wondering if I should chill them longer than 4 weeks.

jonesii should be good at 4 weeks, mine were. Though some plants just take longer to sprout.
Also, the pot you show with "psittacina" seedlings are not. psittacina plants show their traits at a very young age (I have seedlings growing out now), and in yours I can see traits of flava, leucophylla, purpurea and others, but I don't see the psitt traits actually in any of them.

Looking healthy for sure.

theplantman said:
Very healthy-looking plants! I have some jonesii from the ICPS stratifying right now... how long did you leave em in? Just wondering if I should chill them longer than 4 weeks.

About 5 weeks. I had one seed begin to sprout, then wilted mysteriously within a few days before it got a foothold.

Also, the pot you show with "psittacina" seedlings are not. psittacina plants show their traits at a very young age (I have seedlings growing out now), and in yours I can see traits of flava, leucophylla, purpurea and others, but I don't see the psitt traits actually in any of them.

That's discouraging. I guess that's what I get for ordering seeds from Amazon, eh? I was really looking forward to Psitts. Guess I'll have to start over in the spring. :/

Love the U. calycifidas! Mine are making slow progress, but not quite as glorious as yours. Will you put me down for some Lantau Isl. next time we trade?

Spring Update!!!

Nepenthes:

n-ventricosa-x-thorelli-x-aristolochiodes-3-16-15.jpg

thorelli-x-aristo-pitcher-2-3-16-15.jpg

thorelli-x-aristo-cluster-3-16-15.jpg

n-red-leopard-3-16-15.jpg

Drosera:

d-hamiltonii-3-16-15.jpg

d-capensis-x-spatulata-3-16-15.jpg

d-sp-lantau-island-3-16-15.jpg

d-filiformis-3-16-15.jpg

u-bisquamata-and-d-burmanii-3-16-15.jpg

Sarracenia (seedlings)

s-mystery-3-16-15.jpg

sarracenia-clump-3-16-15.jpg

s-oreophila.jpg

darlingtonia-and-leuco-hurricanes-3-16-15.jpg

Other:

p-esseriana-3-16-15.jpg

u-calycifida-3-16-15.jpg

outdoor-dews-3-16-15.jpg

Whew!

What's that first Nepenthes? Looks very similar to some of my 'Splendid Diana' x ventricosa seedlings...

What's that first Nepenthes? Looks very similar to some of my 'Splendid Diana' x ventricosa seedlings...

Assuming you're talking about this most recent post, it's N. ventricosa (thorelli x aristolochiodes)

If you mean the post at the very top of the page, that's plain ol' N. ventricosa. :)

Back