What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zath's CP Collection

Updates, and new plants!

Got some nice and unexpected things in yesterday. I have to apologize in advance, because while I'm ready to take pictures, I'm not quite ready to duplicate the documentation (I'll be working on that later today). All the new stuff is attributed to the generosity of fellow TF'er Whim (thanks buddy). So, in no particular order:

Two new sarrs:
New Sarrs. 7-13-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

D. binata 'red dwarf'
D. binata 'red dwarf' 7-13-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

Rooted N. Leopard cuttings:
N. 'red leopard' 7-13-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

Some Nep seedlings that I don't know how to refer to, lol
N. seedlings 7-13-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr
N. seedlings 2 7-13-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

Until I figure out something better, they're sharing the shade tent in the terrarium with the U. Calycifida

My VFT's looking good despite the recent thrip damage.
VFT's by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

Drosera germination cups are starting to go off. These are D. sp 'Lantau Island', recently acquired through the ICPS seed bank.
D. sp 'Lantau Island' 7-13-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

...and my first stray, lol.
Stray D. seedling 7-13-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

(Edit) Forgot this. The only drosera I left inside the terrarium, so as not to disturb them. D. burmannii left & center. D. spatulata on right.
Drosera flower stalks 7-13-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

Last edited:
A couple updatey-ish pics, yeah?

Some of these show the progress since the thrip devastation has been dealt with (I think). Just a few pages back are some photos of damaged plants.

VFT 'dente'
VFT 'dente' 7-29-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

VFT 'Royal Red'
Royal Red 7-29-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

S. purpurea 'Survivor' (my affectionate nickname for it)
S. Purpurea 'Survivor' 7-29-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

Now, just some new pics of the same plants, but maybe prettier. :)

My outdoor grow area, a full shot of the CP's and my view, every time I walk outside. :p
Outdoor pots 7-28-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

Finally separated the D. Aliciae given to me by TF member Shortbus. I remember his packing slip saying "1-ish D. Aliciae", lol. (Thanks buddy)
D. Aliciae 7-28-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

And finally, an updated (finally) pic of my U. Sandersonii plug also gifted to me by Shorty. :p

...this is special, because I play a table-top game with hand-made (arts and crafts type) terrain....and this looks like "alien-landscape flora". I've seriously been considering the possibility of cultivating such a massive amount of Sandersonii to use as modular decoration in an incredibly unique and aesthetically pleasing way.
U. Sandersonii 7-29-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

Hope you enjoy! :)

Wow zath that is quite a view. The plants look great, probably cuz they love the view also

I never get tired of seeing U. sandersonii in flower. Such an easy grow, but so rewarding! Had to revisit your thread today to get caught up. Looking good!

I never get tired of seeing U. sandersonii in flower. Such an easy grow, but so rewarding! Had to revisit your thread today to get caught up. Looking good!

Thanks. I agree about the Sandersonii. Not much to look at at first, but man, when it starts flowering, it's pretty neat looking.

Some seedling updates and MORE!!

Picture time...because why not?

Let's start with a pic of U. bisquamata which is undoubtedly more impressive than it is in person. :p
U. Bisquamata 8-4-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

And a fluke of a picture that turned out beautifully (U. Sandersonii)
U. Sandersonii 8-3-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

S. Psittacina sprouts, approx. 1 1/2 weeks after sowing.
S. Psitaccina 8-4-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

Darlingtonia californica sprouts. Well...one is, anyway. I think the other is a sphagnum tendril cleverly hiding behind a seed. :p
D. californica 8-4-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

D. sp. 'Lantau Island', approx. 3 weeks after sowing.
D. 'lantau island' 1 8-4-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr
D. 'lantau island' 2 8-4-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

And finally...I'd like some opinions on this one; It's my newly crafted shade-box. I meant to only use it for a few plants, but being economical with water is important for me, so I ended up not being able to spare a second tray for just a couple pots.

In this pic you should be able to see a clear division between the shade and sun. This was taken around 4 p.m. in full sun. Is this TOO dark? When I bought it (by the yard at Wally World) I thought it was pretty darn sheer, as I can see my hand through it, but after I set it up, it seems awful dark. Any input?
Shadebox Effect by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

Too bad you can't make a little shade cloth beach umbrella for D. adelae. Then the rest could be in the full sun still. I like what you've done with the place tho! :) I might be interested in a future trade for a 'Lantau Island' if you end up with extras.

Too bad you can't make a little shade cloth beach umbrella for D. adelae. Then the rest could be in the full sun still. I like what you've done with the place tho! :) I might be interested in a future trade for a 'Lantau Island' if you end up with extras.

Absolutely! Those will likely be my first giveaway, but I'll definitely remember the people who've shown me past generosity. If the D. filiformis (only two sprouts) and D. burmannii 'Pilliga Red' (none) pick up, I'll have more to offer.

Didn't feel like waiting until tomorrow. I had at least two people say the shade looked too dark, so I tinkered with it.

This is the last option I have -on hand- to use as improvised shadecloth...and it's a relative step back in technology, lol. Good ol' Burlap.

Sb front by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

top:
SB top-view by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

These shots were taken in uniform shade, so I won't know what kind of difference it makes unless tomorrow is a nice day.

Alrighty. As for the shade box, I think the burlap is working well:
Shadebox Effect 2PM 8-5-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

It seems to admit quite a bit more light than the fabric I had chosen. I still need to actually get the parts to complete it though. Consider what's in the picture to be a proof of concept, lol.

Pretty pictures:

D Aliciae (got bored and photoshopped it a little)
D. Aliciae 8-5-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

D. Adelae, with it's funky rosettes of green and red:
D. Adelae 8-5-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

D. capensis x spatulata (first flower to fully open for me)
D. capensis x spatulata flower 8-5-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

D. capensis x spatulata with its first outdoor meal:
D. capensis x spatulata with meal 8-5-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

Okay...I'm having problems here with my P. Moctezumae. It began life with me in the terrarium, where it flourished into a 6" diameter octopus. Then all of a sudden it crashed, and I've been fretting over it ever since. It's been outside now for a couple weeks, and I finally decided maybe I was experiencing the dreaded root rot, because the new growth was browning at the tips, even though they had formed after the plant had been placed in the sun. (So they -should- have been adjusted ((at least that's my experience with other CP's atm)))

I re-potted him today in what I hope is a well-draining and airy mixture, comprised of:

Red lava rock (rinsed); about 60-70%
Chopped Lfs, tumbled with Peat / Sand; the extra 3-=40%

Nothing was compacted or pressed down, though the center, where the plants roots are, has no rocks touching it, it's just the laced lfs. It drains very quickly, and I'm hoping I can save the plant.

P. Moctezumae re-potted 8-5-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

Opinions? Comments?

My P. Moctezumae is in pure peat Moss but left bone dry most of the time. Then every now and then I flood them. They do great like that, flowering and dividing. I'm sure it is saveable- good luck!

A word of caution with the burlap: I don't think it will leach off badly or may not even be toxic to plants, but burlap is treated with something that acts as a preservative in most cases. It you have extra try grabbing a wad and get a good nose-full. Kind of oily smelling.

Edit: I am having kind of a similar situation with the new balcony myself. It has been treated with water-seal and when it is real wet I see it a little bit on the surface of beads of water. Very lightly rainbowy in little spots. My concern is similar in that I don't want water-seal splashing onto and into my plants. I don't really have much I can do about it other than bring them in, but they are doing well so far in spite of any contact.

Last edited:
You know, I didn't even think about the fabric being treated.

If it matters, I don't think it's true burlap (as in a burlap bag), it just seems to be a similar material. It does have a smell to it, but I attributed that to it's nature as what I had assumed was comparatively lightly-processed material.

Nevertheless, I don't -think- any leeching would cause major problems, but I -will- keep this in mind, and at the first sign of trouble, that will definitely be one of the trouble-shooting options, unless I can get my hands on some -real- shadecloth before then.

Dug the camera out to take pics of a butterfly I saved from certain doom (pics of him in a separate thread in the appropriate sub-forum), so since I had the camera out, I figured, why not?

A pic of my two newest Sarrs, showing off their new growth:
Sarracenia outlook by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

At least three moths were caught last night by two different pichers. This, and a S. purpurea. I really didn't think moths were frequent victims of Sarrs. Apparently I was wrong:
Pitcher contents by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

...and a quick little update shot of my baby VFT's, looking good, now that they aren't crammed up inside each other, as they had been in their hardware store deathcubes (and for a while afterwards, because I thought they were just heavily clumped typicals, and didn't realize each 2" pot has as many as 4 plants in them:
VFT bebbahs 8-14-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

What is the bottom pitcher? Can't quite read it. Whatever it is, it's on the "can't live without" list! What a beaut!

Last edited:
What is the bottom pitcher? Can't quite read it. Whatever it is, it's on the "can't live without" list! What a beaut!

Thanks! Though I can't take much credit for it, since only one pitcher has grown for me, lol.

It's: Jerry's (rubra x purpurea)2 x Judith Hindle
...quoted verbatim from the tag. I don't know what that "2" is doing in there, to be perfectly honest. :/

(Edit) Oh...I see...it's a freakin' algebra equation...got it.

Last edited:
Wow what skill! Who is Jerry? I feel like I should know this one...:blush:

I gotta say props to all the Sarracenia breeders! :clap: That has got to take so much hard work and patience to cross these plants and keep the lineage intact. I wonder how often they grow a tray of seeds they have held great hopes for and they develop into blah. Maybe they are always cool and there is no such thing as a blah Sarracenia. ???

I gotta say props to all the Sarracenia breeders! :clap: That has got to take so much hard work and patience to cross these plants and keep the lineage intact. I wonder how often they grow a tray of seeds they have held great hopes for and they develop into blah. Maybe they are always cool and there is no such thing as a blah Sarracenia. ???

I think everyone believes that until they have about 1000+ seedlings that need to be sorted through and culled, lol.

I vote that the "D" in D. capensis be changed from Drosera to Determined.

Found these sprouting out of what I was sure were dead leaves, having wilted and baked from being thrust out into the sun right after I received them.
D. for Determination by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

Crazy...

Back