What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ultimate HL chamber!!

• Thread starter Av8tor1
  • Start date
BDW-SERIES.png

There ya go. BBcode magic

:0o:

I am sure the price tag on that is horrific, given that it is intended for research.

My department secured a massive grant for Conviron to build 10 growth chambers for research. They are amazing. They came in crates the size of a greenhouse (I know because my boss took one home and lined it with plastic!). You can get frosty temperatures in the middle of summertime, or vice versa in the dead of winter. Every single environmental variable can be controlled. Humidity, light intensity. Unfortunately we only use them for our most expensive research--they can keep any plant on earth alive all year round.

However, the downside is maintenance. There are so many electrical lines, water lines, and computer parts that something gives out once a year.

Last edited:
Seems like something one should only use for the absolute most nitpicky sorts of plants, the sorts that make me wonder how they aren't extinct.

I wonder why it's targeted towards C4 plants? Are you not able to control CO2 levels?

I wonder why it's targeted towards C4 plants? Are you not able to control CO2 levels?

It could be that they generally require greater light/heat intensities and not all chambers can provide this. For example, we do a lot of corn (C4 plant) research and it would not be possible under fluorescent lighting. There are other types of chambers with fluorescents. They are cheaper, more common, smaller, tend to run cooler, and usually handle stuff like Arabidopsis.

Our chambers aren't used for CO2 studies, but I imagine that if someone wanted to, a few canisters and some sealant would work nicely.

I don't know the answer though and that's just a guess. I also saw the ad and wondered why C4 plants were emphasized.

Last edited:
Back