What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time for an update.

D. intermedia is now hunting in packs. Also, the Spiranthes did bloom quite nicely (and is still doing so)

FYI: Not seeing any picture in that last post if you were intending one.

Loving the bog updates, please keep them coming! Fun to follow! :D

I'm trying, lol. Not sure if it is a site bug, or a user error (I'm prone to those)

Sundews hunting in packs
10.7.14 068.JPG
10.7.14 074.JPG
Spiranthes Bloom
10.5.14 007.JPG

Wow---taking down a dragonfly is quite a feat for little intermedias.

I'm about to go check and see if he is still there, lol.

The sundews that took the Dragonfly are actually my tropical D. intermedia. I had excess seed last spring, and tossed them in the old bog as a bit of an experiment. It should be interesting to see what they do when cold weather strikes...

The intermedia you gave me have not formed a very noticeable hibernaculum just yet, so I don't have the basis to say these guys will or won't.

Oops! Mine are still going strong as well, no signs of hibernacula yet either.

I was kind of wondering (and this is far-fetched) if these guys might adapt... they may not. If not, I can always grow them as annuals, because they produce so much seed....

Well, it's that time. Time to cover the bog, that is!

Step 1 was done some time ago - trimming a lot of plants.
bog cover 001

Step 2 - boards to keep the plants from getting squashed flat under the weight.
bog cover 002

Step 3 - A tarp keeps too much debris from falling into the bog. While I don't mind the occasional stray leaf, I don't need too much decomposing organic matter adding nutrients to the soil.
bog cover 003

Step 4 - Yard waste or mulch. Just piles stuff on. Last year, I bought mulch. This year, I decided to use leaves, trimmed branches, etc.
bog cover 004

Step 5 - weigh it all down. This is where a few bags of mulch (or logs or whatever) come in handy.
bog cover 005

Step 6 - another tarp, to keep my 'insulation' from blowing away in a storm. And some rocks to keep the tarp from blowing away!
bog cover 006

If I could offer any advice to you here Jen it would be to use burlap instead of tarps. The tarps won't allow the bog to breathe, nor will they allow any water through. A friend up here used tarps for the first time last winter and he ended up losing quite a few plants. Needless to say, he's going back to burlap.

I buy several Goodwills in my area out of blankets before winter. Weigh down with bricks.

Hmm, I may look into it. My bog was sealed last year (literally, a snap-on lid that matched the much smaller tote that was my bog.)

I don't know if it helps that it isn't sealed - the boards stick out, and do provide a small amount of ventilation, but the tarps cut the direct wind.

Well, it's time for some 2015 updates. Some plants are MIA. Some are off to a slow start. Some may not be off to any start at all.

Normally, I prefer to inset photos directly I the thread, but owing to computer problems (namely the fact that iPads really suck at copying and pasting) I can only provide links for the moment.

The bog:
https://flic.kr/p/u1qAXP

Drosera rotundifolia is absent. Sarracenia psitticina, rubra, and flava rubicorpa are all undetermined at the moment, as are a couple of my tarnoks. Most of the rest are pitchering, my hurricane creek white is budding.

Last edited:
Well, after comparing my map pics to my current layout, it's interesting that the filiformis managed to move more than six inches from where it was planted. Not sure if there were seeds (I never saw it flower) or if other things were to blame. There were signs of mouse activity in the bog over Winter.... Perhaps contributed to the losses? Who knows.

I do have some Starr flowers popping open, and a vet sending up a spike, so I will have some seeds to trade or share out at some point.

Very nice bog layout! Your sleeping beardie is really funny how its just dangling there. Am I the only 1 who goes through photo albums when someone posts a link? lol

Well, I finally got around to some of the bog work I wanted to do.

url=https://flic.kr/p/v6cnFQ]
19093147938_32b3462513_b.jpg
[/url]Fly trap mini bog by Jerabudragoness, on Flickr

Separated different plants out into mini bogs so the main one an be exclusively sarracenias.

Back