What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have been on the fence about trying Cobra Lilies. I really wanna try them out though.

I should take soil temps a few times a day (and night) for a few days during a heat wave, and see where I stand.

Ok, getting closer. Planning on moving everyone that is NOT in flower this week. Have some new acquisitions to add to it as well.

This is the bog they are moving into (had some additions, and the blue between the rocks is grass seed)
7-25-14-039.jpg

This picture is taken standing South of the bog, looking North. The northern edge is planted with Iris, and other tall flowers, that won't cast shade on the bog. Sides are planted with Coral Bells, and short plants.
_________
Here is the current bog: (S. leucophylla 'tarnok', S. psitticina, S. minor, S. alata, S. purpurea, and 3x VFT - Normals)
7-25-14-013.jpg

_________
New Acquisitions, from left to right, approximately:
In the large, square tray on the left:
(S. flava normal, S. flava rubicorpa, S. leucophylla 'Titan', S. purpurea purpurea, from online supplier)
(2 S. unknowns, and 2 VFTs from death boxes)

Next to that:
(S. dana's delight and S. rubra - courtesy of jimscott),
Far right:
(and another S. leucophylla 'Tarnok' - from online supplier)

7-29-14-006.jpg

Last edited:
Obviously, taller plants (most sarrs) will be in the back of the bog, where shorter plants (S. psitticina, VFTs, and any Pings of Dews I get ) will be in front, to keep plants from shading each other out.

Pretty sure a few of these plants could spare a division, so watch the trading post ;)

Cobra lilies aren't as bad as they are purported to be. Once established, they can tolerate temps in the 90's:

How long does it take a plant to be established enough to survive temps into the 90's?

Could a Darlingtonia survive a zone 5 winter dormancy outdoors with a ton of mulch to insulate it the way a Sarr could?

I just transplanted every thing in my bog that wasn't flowering. That leaves my S. purpurea and one VFT in the bog until seeds have been collected.

psitticina-006.jpg

Going to have to find some way to keep wildlife out of it. Thinking of making a greenhouse style frame, and covering it with chicken wire to keep wildlife out, but allow insects to pass through. If I make it out of PVC, it'll be lightweight, so I can move it during winter to cover the bog, and it won't weather and rot the way wood tends to.

This is what I have growing:

label.jpg

1 - S. leucophylla 'Tarnok'
2 - S. leucophylla 'titan'
3 - S. alata
4 - S. minor
5 - S. rubra
6 - S. Dana's Delight
7 - S. flava rubicorpa
8 - S. flava
9 - S. purpurea purpurea
10 - S. psitticina
11 - Dionaea muscipula

Looks like you have a great bog started there. Not sure I would have planted grass between the paver stones though.
I like the pvc frame with chicken wire idea, should keep out the casual grazers and stompers as long as you anchor it somehow.
I have long wanted to build an in-ground bog. Surely if you have good survivability in zone 5, I should be ok in zone 6a.

Last edited:
It gets quite a bit of mulch for wintertime. Though if they can survive this last, bizarrely harsh winter, I think they can survive just about anything.

I was undecided about what to put between the pavers, but we decided on a fine, and short-growing grass, and set the pavers flat enough the lawn mower could go over them without problems if need be. Otherwise, I'll cut it by hand, since it's such a small area. Was trying to come up with other low-growing ground covers for the spot, and couldn't come up with much that was perennial, and would tolerate wet soil, much less thrive in it.

That's looking awesome, Jen! Nice variety there.

The cobra would be fine with the Sarrs in terms of winter mulch. Many growers let their Darlingtonia freeze solid.

An attic gets cold enough but not too cold to handle dormancy. It draws just enough heat from below to offset the coldest of the cold winter nights.

Before I moved my plants outside, I typically used my utility room for dormancy. We didn't heat it more than was necessary to keep pipes from freezing, so it got quite chilly in there. Usually mid thirties.

Finished the enclosure for my bog yesterday. The front is hinged, and opens up so I can go into it for maintenance. I suspect the husband will buy or build something nicer for me in the spring, like a small temperate greenhouse.

This is what I have for now:

enclosure-020.jpg

It's filling out much more (and I still have to move my S. pupurea, and one VFT.) Thanks to yet more donations from Whimgrinder and SubRosa.

Next spring, I may make surrounding mini-bogs for the Drosera, VFT, etc, and keep the large one strictly Sarr.
bog-map.jpg

1 - Sarr hybrid, open pollinated.
2 - [Leuco x (oreo x minor)] x self
3 - Leuco 'Tarnok'
4 - Leuco 'Titan'
5 - S. alata
6 - S. minor
7 - S. [(rubra x purp) x self] x Judith Hindle
8 - S. leuco. x ( oreo x flava) x Big Moorei
9 - S. rubra
10 - S. "Dana's delight"
11 - S. flava rubicorpa
12 - S. flava normal
13 - Spiranthes odorata 'Chadds Ford'
14 - Xyris sp.
15 - Zephyranthes candida
16 - VFT (all normal, as far as I know)
17 - D. intermedia "White's Bog, NJ."
18 - D. filiformis
19 - "Pretty Weeds"
20 - Cranberry
21 - S. purp. purp.
22 - S. psitticina

Last edited:
Looking good Jen but I believe you have Xyris and the Zephyranthes reversed.

Last edited:
As I planted each one, I left the bag next to it, and took a picture for reference, but I may have gotten them switched up. Will have to do a bit of poking around.

It's night and day. Xyris has leaves which are flat in cross section, Z. candida has leaves round in cross section.

I'm glad you are familiar with them. Indeed, they are switched!

Update time:

Thanks again, SubRosa - the plants you sent seem quite happy here!

First 'good' leuco pitcher of the year:
leuco-5.jpg

Purps are eating well. I saw tons of black crickets, but this guy looks like the pet store variety:
purpurea-5.jpg

I'm glad Drosera are pigs. There are a LOT of flies in that bog, and the Drosera are gorging themselves.

Filiformis:
filiformis-4.jpg

Intermedia:
intermedia.jpg

And, it looks like the Spiranthes may be thinking about flowering!
spiranthes.jpg

Excellent progress Dragoness. Your bog is looking quite happy. I see a ton of drosera sprouts in the purpurea pic, lol.

The purp pic is in my old bog. I sprinkled some of my excess D. intermedia (tropical variety) in there as an experiment. At the moment, they are doing fine, but I'm curious to see what happens this winter.

The Spiranthes is doing more than thinking about blooming! Wait til you catch a whiff........

Back