What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello, it's been quite a while since I have posted on this forum, Ive become pretty busy/stressed out with college and working in between semesters, Im glad to be back though :) . Unfortunately most of my CPs didn't make it through this past year :(, but Im going to try my hand at them again (hopefully with better results this time around). This time Im going to try growing some in a terrarium (Ive wanted to build a terrarium for quite a while anyways); Im thinking of growing various Utricularia (I currently have U. flava and U. calycifida), smaller Drosera and Pinguicula, and I'd love to try my hand at Heliamphora again and maybe a Cephalotus; Im not too sure with the compatibility of these plant's growing conditions though. So far I only have a 10 gallon terrarium and a stand I have made from eggcrate...
<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/pk93/14505218383/player/" width="576" height="467" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>
At the very least I need to work out lighting and humidity. I want to try my hand at building an LED grow light, probably using the MakersLED heatsink kit, Im just not too sure how many LEDs I should use (Im leaning towards using Cree XM-L2 cool and warm white LEDs and maybe some Luxeon Rebel red and blue LEDs as well). As for humidity Im a bit lost; I've seen people use ultrasonic humidifiers made for rooms (rigged into their terraria with hoses) as well as smaller ultrasonic humidifiers made for keeping reptiles; unfortunately I don't think I have the space to set up a room humidifier, and Ive read that the reptile humidifiers don't last very long. Any suggestions?
Thank you!

Last edited:
I can't say anything about your lighting one way or the other, but as for humidity, I just cut a piece of thin plexiglass out for the lid (with scissors, no less), and a couple notches for my fingers, and one for cords. During the day humidity stays pretty locked in at 80%. It goes down to about 67-70 when the lights are off. I don't add anything extra, just the water trays and the tub my aquarium heater sits in.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply!
I'll have to look into making a plexiglass lid; by chance, do you know how thin the plexiglass you used is?
Thanks again!

Thanks for the reply!
I'll have to look into making a plexiglass lid; by chance, do you know how thin the plexiglass you used is?
Thanks again!

It didn't say, but I'm thinking it was no thicker than .031 (1/32"). You need something a little more serious than craft scissors to cut anything thicker, I would think.

Just FYI Utricularia flava is now Utricularia chrysantha. I can tell you that both that species and U. calycifida are quite tolerant of a wide range of conditions, but U. calycifida likes it on the cooler side (like highland Neps), in my experience. Others may have different experiences.

Thanks Zath and NatchGreyes! I'll have to look around for some thinner plexiglass :).
woops, I accidentally wrote U. flava instead of U. fulva >_<; nice to know current nomenclature if I ever run into U. flava (U. chrysantha). Thanks for the culture tips too :).

Last edited:
My experience with plexiglass as lids for high-humidity terrariums (for poison dart frogs) is that they warp in a matter of weeks. Did you do anything special to avoid that, Zath? In the end, I went with making something like this, and it's worked great. Good luck! Hope this helps.

-CJ

My experience with plexiglass as lids for high-humidity terrariums (for poison dart frogs) is that they warp in a matter of weeks. Did you do anything special to avoid that, Zath? In the end, I went with making something like this, and it's worked great. Good luck! Hope this helps.

-CJ

I didn't do anything special. I was looking into making a glass top, but I needed something right then, not three or four days from then, lol. My next (probably 40-gallon) build will include a custom hood with glass panels.

If the plexi on my 20 gal. warps to the point of being unusable, I'll cut a new one. The sheets are large, and I believe I can get two lids out of each one.

Thanks for the replies! UnstuckinTime, that looks awesome; if I ever get a larger terrarium I will certainly try and make a lid like that, but if I were to do this with my current terrarium I think getting my plants out or moving them around would be sort of difficult.
Today I went to a nearby lowes looking for some plexiglass to make my lid, I learned that they cut the stuff for free; I ended up having them cut a relatively thick piece of plexiglass to size :).
<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/pk93/14314399848/in/photostream/player/" width="640" height="480" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/pk93/14314397409/in/photostream/player/" width="480" height="640" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>
I still have to drill a hole in the plexiglass (so I can put a cpu fan in the terrarium) and make some sort of handle so I can remove the lid (it's going to fit very snug). I also have to figure out how many LEDs I need; Im thinking of getting 6 Cree XM-L2 warm white, 6 Cree XM-L2 cool white, and some blue and red LEDs of some kind (probably Cree XP-E2 or Luxeon Rebel).. LEDs are so expensive :cry:

Last edited:
Back