Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Highland Terrarium Help

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FBImurders View Post
    vraev,are those air plants in the background , or what type of plants are they?? In the shelf. Exo terra
    In my exo terra tank? They are miniature orchids...lepanthes species.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow Varun, I remember seeing your stuff here like 5 years ago and it was always so inspirational. I went through a major plant loss too. I just couldn't manage the stress of college and keeping all my collection alive at the same time. My plants slowly declined over the years until I had nothing left. It's not been easy to swallow the lost time (or lost money, for that matter), but I'm rebounding pretty quickly thanks to finally landing a steady job. I started with one pygmy sundew about a month ago and now we're up to 16 plants including my pending arrivals!

Anyway, as far as neps go, I've mostly been focused on finding lowland x highland hybrids or plants with easy genes like maxima that I can just grow at room temperature. I just can't shake the urge to hop back on the highland train though! You're planting some dangerous thoughts in my head with these posts... I think I'm going to start plotting out my own climate-controlled highland grow chamber. I've been looking for a project to keep my engineering skills sharp, and this is something I could definitely get passionate about. I'll have to work out a budget, but I'm confident that I could at least get started on something in the next few months. I'll be sure to keep the community updated!

Jason

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the comments Jason. Sorry to hear about the loss. I think basically no matter how stable one might think they are, there will eventually be a time when things go downhill. As human beings, circumstances change and when push comes to shove, our hobbies suffer. The victorians themselves are perfect examples of this. But hopefully in that time, we can keep our rarest plants alive. Even if we can't, thanks to the current more open attitude on TC production of new plants, it should be relatively easier to acquire any/most rare plants. Good luck with your tank construction. Remember, it might take a while, it took my new tank over an year to come into its own. Just be patient and work with it and it is definitely very rewarding. Keep us posted on your new setup.
    Last edited by vraev; 07-28-2014 at 01:07 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234