What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Highland Terrarium Help

I guess I am under the impression that most Neps got a lot bigger. Maybe I just have N. bicalcarata permanently entrenched in my head.

This thread is marvelous, as I am brainstorming my own Highlands setup - even though it is a ways down the line.

oh yes. Every nep grows pretty big..especially ones in there. If anything argentii probably would be the only one that is a good size for a terrarium, but its one of the more picky species.

All others like macrophylla etc... get huge. Thats why I never really have too many big neps. The large tanks were made for bigger neps. But, it showed how naïve I was..lol! there was never too much empty space..I would always keep a full house in there. :p So once plants got bigger, I would sell them/trade them...or in worst case, put them outside and eventually the plant would go downhill.

Last edited:
This thread is marvelous, as I am brainstorming my own Highlands setup - even though it is a ways down the line.

I couldnt agree more man. This thread has all the info ive been digging for for a looong time. Hats off to everyone whos contributed. Especially vraev. Such a unique and effective setup

vraev,are those air plants in the background , or what type of plants are they?? In the shelf. Exo terra

vraev,are those air plants in the background , or what type of plants are they?? In the shelf. Exo terra

In my exo terra tank? They are miniature orchids...lepanthes species.

Wow Varun, I remember seeing your stuff here like 5 years ago and it was always so inspirational. I went through a major plant loss too. I just couldn't manage the stress of college and keeping all my collection alive at the same time. My plants slowly declined over the years until I had nothing left. It's not been easy to swallow the lost time (or lost money, for that matter), but I'm rebounding pretty quickly thanks to finally landing a steady job. I started with one pygmy sundew about a month ago and now we're up to 16 plants including my pending arrivals!

Anyway, as far as neps go, I've mostly been focused on finding lowland x highland hybrids or plants with easy genes like maxima that I can just grow at room temperature. I just can't shake the urge to hop back on the highland train though! You're planting some dangerous thoughts in my head with these posts... I think I'm going to start plotting out my own climate-controlled highland grow chamber. I've been looking for a project to keep my engineering skills sharp, and this is something I could definitely get passionate about. I'll have to work out a budget, but I'm confident that I could at least get started on something in the next few months. I'll be sure to keep the community updated!

Jason

Thanks for the comments Jason. Sorry to hear about the loss. I think basically no matter how stable one might think they are, there will eventually be a time when things go downhill. As human beings, circumstances change and when push comes to shove, our hobbies suffer. The victorians themselves are perfect examples of this. But hopefully in that time, we can keep our rarest plants alive. Even if we can't, thanks to the current more open attitude on TC production of new plants, it should be relatively easier to acquire any/most rare plants. Good luck with your tank construction. Remember, it might take a while, it took my new tank over an year to come into its own. Just be patient and work with it and it is definitely very rewarding. Keep us posted on your new setup.

Last edited:
Back