Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My growing setup. Any pointers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=tommyr;1156119]
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    VFT's & Sarracenias are outdoor / direct sunlight plants. They need the solar energy and they will need a dormancy.[/QUOTE

I agree of coarse but EVERY TIME I tell someone on a forum that they get ticked off real bad. I have resorted to ignoring threads of people that grow them indoors. I'm sick of explaining to them why. It's like banging your head against a brick wall.
    Forgive me if i misunderstand, but I think your frustration may be a little bit misplaced here? Nobody here is getting angry, I am certainly not going to get angry if i ask for advice and people are willing to take the time to educate me(as long of course as they dont act like children about it). I felt I needed to mention i live in colorado because i have never seen anything like this growing out here, every VFT i have bought came in a mini terrarium, all the literature (that comes with them) says to keep them in there, even one of the larger local nurseries told me to do so. I got fed bad information, I get it. I would rather be corrected than to argue something that I am wrong about. There is nothing wrong with ignorance unless it is willful ignorance.

I am not sure if you read my last post, but I did mention that I have started putting them outdoors.... we have getting blasted with hail here on a weekly basis, so i prefer to only put them out if the weather is going to be clear. When im at work i cant run home if it starts to hail so i have to be careful, by keeping them indoors when it looks like they might get damaged. Even indoors with exception of the Red Dragon they all look better than when i got them in the mail. I really dont want them pulverized by ice and have to go buy new ones and try to get them looking good again

However, once I start the filming, they HAVE to be indoors, as it is impossible to control the light levels outside for a proper timelapse sequence. I normally take an image every 10-15 minutes for weeks on end. The main reason of trying to grow them indoors is because they would be filmed indoors, and I figured it would make sense to be sure it would not be a problem. If all i need is to stick them in a tub of water outdoors to get them in their best condition then ill be happy to do so. But while they are in my set they will be getting blasted with some high power LED grow lights, it should be enough to get them through the filming sequences. I realize that filming them outdoors would be best, but unless anybody can eliminate wind for a month or two and shut the sun off for me for 5 seconds every 15 minutes while my studio lighting fills the scene, sometimes we have to work within limitations and do everything possible to maximize the situation. I plan to cycle plants in and out of the set, shooting maybe 2 weeks at a time, then moving them out, changing up the set, etc. I have another camera on its way to double my output to make it as low stress on the plants as possible.

Anyway, how about we just let this thread die?

Im not too interested in this devolving into an indoors vs outdoors debate, I'm interested in growing plants, filming thier development, and hopefully growing some friendships within this online community. My apologies if i hit a button or started a controversial thread.

I think i have managed to get some pretty sage advice here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I apologise. Carry on with your own routine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    based on post 14, I would say you are on the road to success. Good luck and thanks for sharing!
    My Grow/Want Lists
    -The horticulturalist formerly known as Shortbus-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    So now they get more artifical light when inside, when the forecast predicts nice days i will put some of them outside to get some direct sunlight.
    Step 1. - grower switches from 100% indoors and 0% outdoors, to some of the time indoors, and some of the time outdoors. its a start!
    Step 2. - grower will realize its SO much easier and better to just keep them outside all the time!

Scot

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123