What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do YOU grow your plants?

With all that's in the realm of possibility, how do you grow your plants?

Terrarium, greenhouse, bog garden, windowsill?

Here's a link showing all my setups:

https://www.behance.net/natehollis

Last edited:
I grow my plants with love.
And a zipup greenhouse on my windowsill.

30kzjtx.jpg
My main plant rack with 2 two foot, 2 tube T5 lights.
The other plants sit outside in my greenhouse, and all the other tropicals/mosses are inside my indoor greenhouse.

I have a few ways, and it depends on what the plants wants.

I have an outdoor temperate bog with Sarrs, VFT's, temperate Dews and companion plants. Zone 5.

I also have a 'reasonably room temp' grow rack with 4 fluorescent tubes, and not much more humidity than ambient. It was mostly built for short CPs such as dews, pings and Cephs, but it also has some byblis seedlings and young orchids in it. I am largely still filling it in.

I also have 2 'lowland/tropical' terrariums for LL neps, and other tropical plants than enjoy abundant heat and humidity.

I grow numerous Non-Cps in sunny windowsills.

Nemjones, what plant is this?

2ugcn5j.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not Nemjones but that appears to be a jade plant with a Rhipsalis sp. in front of it. As for me I grow my plants outside when weather allows and bring them in under lights for the winter. I have a 4ft grow rack in front of a window that gets full sun for a few hours a day. I also have 540 watts of T5 HO and 190 watts of compact fluorescents above them. A mixture of 3000k and 6500k bulbs. Using my trusty lux meter I have measured the darkest areas at 18k lux and the brightest at 78k lux when the sun is shining and 35k when it is not. The plants seem to like it and color up well, but my electricity bill more than doubles in the winter:p.

Outdoors year round for native CPs, windowsill for some easier Nepenthes, and a purpose built grow chamber for highland Nepenthes. I also use an indoor mini-greenhouse for my Paphiopedilum and Heliamphora.

I have a greenhouse (just made a new bigger one from the last) 5/4/3M shade cloth with automated misters for Neps, a couple heli, orchids and misc (like hoya), then a sidturned 4.5ft/2.5ft/2.5ft tank for pings and drosera.
250-300L ponds (x 5) (utrics, random aquatics and aldrovanda)
2 human bathtubs turned into bog gardens for sarra, drosera (sun lovers like petiolaris complex, indica, spathulata, adelae and a few more all together), cephalotus (only 2), utrics and stylidium
Then individual pots around the yard and some neps hanging in trees
That is my parents covered, they let me keep plants there whilst at uni, I check on them once to twice a month.

The where I rent I have 4 50-200L ponds for aquatics
several pots with drosera, sarra, utrics, stylidium and pings.
Then a 3ft tank for seedlings (curently roridula and a few drosera D.ordenensis, special burmanni, spathulata....)
Then a small polyhouse (about 8/6ft) for a few smaller neps, orchids, drosera and utrics.
as well as some larger common hybrid neps in hanging pots.

And a crap load of cacti, pony palms and friut and veggies mixed between both locations.

I'm not Nemjones but that appears to be a jade plant with a Rhipsalis sp. in front of it. As for me I grow my plants outside when weather allows and bring them in under lights for the winter. I have a 4ft grow rack in front of a window that gets full sun for a few hours a day. I also have 540 watts of T5 HO and 190 watts of compact fluorescents above them. A mixture of 3000k and 6500k bulbs. Using my trusty lux meter I have measured the darkest areas at 18k lux and the brightest at 78k lux when the sun is shining and 35k when it is not. The plants seem to like it and color up well, but my electricity bill more than doubles in the winter:p.

Correct. that is a jade plant, and the vine like one might be a Rhipsalis sp, but ill have to double check. i want sure what it was myself

Outside year round. In the winter, a mini greenhouse (aka a shelf with a plastic sheet over it) for tropical drosera, Mexican pings, cephalotus, and seedlings.

I have a wire metal grow rack that I'm slowly expanding. Pics in my thread :)

Rich

Thanks! :)

All outdoors, all the time. Being in zone 10B I don't really have to worry about frost or freezes even though most of my plants are temperate with a few tropical sundews thrown in.

003-7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
001-5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
100_8709.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Picture001-29.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Picture002-12.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Picture003-22.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Picture008-1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Random finds...

They're great for providing depth for pygmy sundews.

Last edited:
It really depends on the season - I have cool wet winter plants, cold dry winter plants, and no winter plants.
Cool wet winter plants get to chill outside in a sunny spot most of the year.
Cold dry winter plants hang out under a tree in winter and in the sun in summer. I'm not entirely sure how this will work in the long term, but they seem ok.
Tropical plants (orchids) sit around the eastern kitchen window from about now till May and retreat to the aquarium during winter, unless they're in recovery mode, in which case they go in the aquarium until they look better. My partner also keeps orchids in the lounge, but the air is ridiculously dry in there and it's a bit of a bother keeping them happy.

Local plants that I've acquired from roadsides etc. are kept in this pot. The pot's on caster wheels so it just gets scooted around the back yard to follow the sun throughout the year.
bogpot20141028_zpsda3ebc71.jpg

It's spring though, so they're not very pretty.

Edit: Australian fast food restaurants use waxed, plastic film, or biodegradable paper cups. They only hold liquids for a few days... your setup looks pretty cool though.

Last edited:
Back