What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Greenhouse

Yeah me too.. every day. . Some times I think she questions what she got her self involved with. .

So the past couple days have been windy and rainy. The greenhouse isn't leaking and is still standing!
CAM00105_zpscb534363.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I added a rain barrel and used the integrated gutter and some tubing I had laying around to fill it.
CAM00109_zps9cdb1773.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Started raining around 630am and the can was full by 300pm. Put some shelving up and and insulation. I did notice that rain would run into the metal base from where some clips are, but it didn't stand and looked to be draining out-side. I was surprised how dry it was inside. Right now it is 39 F outside and 52 F in the greenhouse.
CAM00107_zps0d4141f6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

You could add a bunch more water cans outside and stock up..

I have a couple 20 gallons at the front porch. One is a foam cooler and the other a aquarium.

Yesterday I cleaned out the pond and did a little transplanting. There was so much floating Hyacinth it took me 2 hours with a rake and wheelbarrow! I'm really happy with the outcome and can't wait to add more plants. I still have my vft's and sarrs out in front of the house in dormancy. I have some small divisions I placed on the south side of the GH where it is warmer and reflects some light.

Some of my transplanting and "nursery" area.
CAM00110_zps344cb01f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
CAM00112_zps39f69345.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
CAM00111_zpse228e6bf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

More Stuff! My Neps are doing well and N. Miranda is pitchering. I looked everywhere for some New Zealand Moss locally, but ended up on-line. Me and the Wife found some close-out Kale and Swiss Chard to add to the mix. Pics of vft and sarrs from the front of the house. It has been 34F as a low without covering and things look good!
CAM00119_zpsa1e5f678.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

CAM00117_zpscf32e119.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This is the King Henry that ate a lizard!
CAM00126_zps15252f86.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

CAM00125_zps87b5d9ee.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

CAM00127_zps0f1a0f25.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The sky's the limit, Papa P. This is going to be fun to watch.

Your VFT ate a lizard? ! :ohno:

Where did your source that material you are growing the Pinguicula on; what is that?

Great looking setup!

Yeah, that King Henry was just starting to grow winter traps when it happened. The trap is still closed and it looks like it is beginning to die off:-(

As for the rock, I saw a thread on here where someone used lava rock. This was the red stuff you see for landscaping only larger chunks. So I thought it would be easy to find at one of the local pet stores. I went to every one of them. Only thing was the lava rock was only in aquariums with anemone, etc.

I remembered this pond/plant store. The lady had one last piece. At first it looked like granite, but after picking it up I figured it will work. Once home I easily cut a chunk off with a hack-saw and drilled a few holes. Now I have a Ping planter!

So it has been warming up here. My Drosera have all doubled in size and the VFT's are growing new traps. I recently got a Okee Giant and placed it in a large pot in the pond. The moss is floaty, so I'm thinking this will be close to it's natural habitat.
CAM00143_zpsl3kui4mz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
CAM00144_zps40anlts8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
CAM00146_zpsdis9jwhv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
CAM00148_zps11xv2ts6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
CAM00147_zpsmb1z5zv9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Your greenhouse is beautiful, I'm very jealous! Plants are looking great :)

Thanks! It has been getting up to 90+ in the greenhouse with 80 degree outside temps. I may get some more shade cloth for summer, or put plants on the front porch since it gets near 100 often here in the summer.

Oh yea it sure does get hot in greenhouses, if you put some kind of shading system on the roof it really does help. Our greenhouse would get to nearly 100 degrees F until we put the shading system on. Now it stays a nice cool warm 70 most of the time :)

Good news from GA. Weather has been good for CP's here with daytime temps in the greenhouse 75-100 degrees. Probably an average of 85. Keeping both doors and vents open and some extra sunshade has helped alot. N. Miranda is growing quickly and my VFT's are looking healthy. I'm gonna let one flower so I can have some seeds. Now for pics!

CAM00161_zps2tobit5o.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
CAM00155_zpsfwrauzv3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
CAM00156_zpspbenxhzp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
This one is actually floating!
CAM00157_zpsvuntdkrx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
CAM00158_zps5dh4d3ux.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
CAM00159_zpswvlhtphj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
CAM00160_zpslfhlsxev.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Fantastic greenhouse man. Its definitely on my list when I get a house of my own. I am sure your collection will now increase exponentially. lol

Lately the weather has been warmer, so I have moved all my Nepenthes except N.Miranda to the front porch. Some of the sundews are on the walkway for extra sun and my veggies are placed in a sunny location. Unfortunately one of my Sarr's that started growing early was hurt by some cold temps earlier in March. It has stopped growing, but has a little nub growing from the side I hope is a good sign. My indoor Nep that hangs in the bathroom has finally made a pitcher! I think the better sphagnum has helped. The rain this week should help things along.:beer:

Looking good!

Back