What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adventures of an Alaskan Nepenthes Farmer

A few aristolochioides cousins.

N. ampullaria x aristolochioides

N. aristolochioides x hamata

N. glabrata x aristolochioides

Some jacquelineae lineage.

N. jacquelineae

N. rajah x jacquelineae

N. maxima x jacquelineae

And of course N. argentii.

I am a huge fan of this hybrid, though it seems to grow pretty slowly and has only ever made one pitcher at a time for me.

N. maxima x jacquelineae

That is a thing of beauty

The jacq maxima hybrid sure is something. A shame the maxima in it didn't lend it more speed.

I have a little seed-grown maxima that I have been growing for a while and I gotta say I am not sure where the reputation as a fast growing plant comes from. The plant is one of my slowest growing and most picky of all the plants I have. I know that there is huge variation among the species so it could be that I just have a very slow growing variety.

I have a little seed-grown maxima that I have been growing for a while and I gotta say I am not sure where the reputation as a fast growing plant comes from. The plant is one of my slowest growing and most picky of all the plants I have. I know that there is huge variation among the species so it could be that I just have a very slow growing variety.

Most varieties of N. maxima available grow in intermediate areas with somewhat lower humidity than most nepenthes grow in. However, if your seed grown one happens to come from one of the varieties that has a large peristome, it is liable to be highly demanding when it comes to humidity, since those varieties grow in more humid environments.

Furthermore, if you grow this plant in the same conditions as obligate highlanders, when maxima grows at a range from 400 m to 2600 m, you may have ended up with one of the varieties that grows at far lower altitudes, and thus the plant might be colder than it likes. It would be cool to end up with a variety like this though File:Nepenthes maxima Anggi4.jpg - Wikipedia

Most varieties of N. maxima available grow in intermediate areas with somewhat lower humidity than most nepenthes grow in. However, if your seed grown one happens to come from one of the varieties that has a large peristome, it is liable to be highly demanding when it comes to humidity, since those varieties grow in more humid environments.

Furthermore, if you grow this plant in the same conditions as obligate highlanders, when maxima grows at a range from 400 m to 2600 m, you may have ended up with one of the varieties that grows at far lower altitudes, and thus the plant might be colder than it likes. It would be cool to end up with a variety like this though File:Nepenthes maxima Anggi4.jpg - Wikipedia

Wow I have never seen that picture before. Hard to believe that is still considered N. maxima

I am fairly sure that my plant is nearly a low-lander. It hardly survived in highland conditions. Once I put it in the lowland tank it has grown quite well, but still not exactly the fastest plant I grow. It seems to just put along. I think it might be a "mini" maxima.

Pretty sure that's not typical for any maxima variant (at best, might be a hybrid). Overall, N. maxima as a whole are not picky plants (even forms with large peristomes which is partly age and environmentally controlled, and those can come from a lot of locations so it is probably not a factor in humidity tolerance; large and small peristome plants can come from the same population even) and few forms are actually considered truly highland, most like warmer intermediate conditions anyway. If my experience is anything to go by they are not fast plants though; my seed-grown forms are rather nonchalant in growth rate, and BE-3067 is steady, but also not quick. A new leaf may form every month, month and a half at best usually.

You know, I think mine only makes one pitcher at a time too. I just assumed it was my crummy low-humidity conditions so I feel a little vindicated :-O

You know, I think mine only makes one pitcher at a time too. I just assumed it was my crummy low-humidity conditions so I feel a little vindicated :-O

Mine has been in pretty low humidity as well and it made this pitcher strictly off just natural windowsill lighting, and not even in a good south facing sill, so hope is not lost yet that this hybrid might be able to make multiple pitchers at once.

Pretty sure that's not typical for any maxima variant (at best, might be a hybrid). Overall, N. maxima as a whole are not picky plants (even forms with large peristomes which is partly age and environmentally controlled, and those can come from a lot of locations so it is probably not a factor in humidity tolerance; large and small peristome plants can come from the same population even) and few forms are actually considered truly highland, most like warmer intermediate conditions anyway. If my experience is anything to go by they are not fast plants though; my seed-grown forms are rather nonchalant in growth rate, and BE-3067 is steady, but also not quick. A new leaf may form every month, month and a half at best usually.

That sounds pretty comparable to the growth rate of this little guy. I had two at one point, but I lost the other one - probably because I assumed N. maxima was a tank. In lowland/intermediate conditions this plant has been a steady grower but quite slow.

My maxima 'mini' has been surprisingly resilient to my abysmally low winter RH (typically around 10-15%). It doesn't pitcher for me during the winter months -- but then I don't expect it to. Particularly not with the double whammy of extremely low RH and poor light. (It sits by my sliding glass doors for the winter and only receives whatever meager, weak winter sunlight we happen to get. ) Still grows during that time. Once it goes outside where the humidity and light are higher/stronger, it starts to pitcher.

They appear to be a rather high light plant, growing a lot faster when getting lots of sun. Though, even if they're somewhat slow mine hold onto their pitchers forever (the big 3067 of which there will be photos up on my nep thread this weekend again has pitchers it made last spring still hanging off it).

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/7kesk"><a href="//imgur.com/7kesk"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Testing testing. . . photobucket sucks, testing. . .

Last edited:
N. aristolochioides x hamata

aristolo by Moss Farmer

aristhamata by Moss Farmer

N. attenboroughii

attenborihgou by Moss Farmer

attenbourghou by Moss Farmer

N. barcelonae

barecel by Moss Farmer

N. glandulifera

galndulifera by Moss Farmer

gla by Moss Farmer

N. lowii

lowii2 by Moss Farmer

N. maxima

maxima by Moss Farmer

maxima2 by Moss Farmer

N. spathulata x dubia

spathuydubai by Moss Farmer

spaytdub by Moss Farmer

N. (thorelii x campanulata) x ventricosa

thiricamp by Moss Farmer

thoreicamp by Moss Farmer

thoricamp by Moss Farmer

N. ventricosa

ventr by Moss Farmer

D. spathulata (?)

Dspath by Moss Farmer

HydroBob

hydrobonb by Moss Farmer

Very nice plants, especially the barcelonae! Another one I'll need to track down, it's a very cool species.

Also, just curious, what temperature range does your attenboroughii get? Mine seem to have their ups and downs and try as I might, I can't seem to figure out what they want

Very nice plants, especially the barcelonae! Another one I'll need to track down, it's a very cool species.

Also, just curious, what temperature range does your attenboroughii get? Mine seem to have their ups and downs and try as I might, I can't seem to figure out what they want

My night time temps vary from between 65-50 degrees. My daytime temps almost have never exceeded 80 degrees, usually being only 70 degrees or 75 maximum.

A lot of my other attenboroughii are smaller and less vigorous than the particular plant that I posted. It is clearly at the head of the pack and less finicky than the rest, but it is grown in an open-topped terrarium. The plants grown this way seem to fair best.

They appreciate being misted.

I did not realize that N. glandulifera was so hairy. Nicely shot. I have always had a love of Bettas - Hydrobob rocks!

Back