What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adventures of an Alaskan Nepenthes Farmer

I like the N. singalana x hamata better than I like the single-species hamata. Good color, great teeth. How small is miniature?

It amazes me that you can grow darlingtonia and vft's without them freezing to death.

I've had quite a few freeze to death before. This winter has been really mild, though it looks like they might be ready to go come spring!

You sure that is a pic of the rajah x jacq? I'm not seeing characteristics of either species in that....
Envious of the attenboroughii, mine's still less than an inch across

I'm pretty sure. I got the seeds from Jeremiah. This was the only plant that sprouted out of them all and it doesn't resemble any of the other seedlings that I've sprouted. The way that the over all plant is growing definitely makes the heritage seem believable, at least to me.

I like the N. singalana x hamata better than I like the single-species hamata. Good color, great teeth. How small is miniature?

I've owned it for four years and this is a three inch pot I believe.

Looking good. Can't wait to see photos of the outdoor bog once spring gets started up for you.

I'm pretty sure. I got the seeds from Jeremiah. This was the only plant that sprouted out of them all and it doesn't resemble any of the other seedlings that I've sprouted. The way that the over all plant is growing definitely makes the heritage seem believable, at least to me.
QUOTE]

Do you have a pic of the whole plant? Mine is just starting to reach a size where I'm seeing hints of the peltate tendril, and it has no evidence of either heavy patterns on the pitcher or stripes on the peristome, and only the barest hints of teeth along with a very thick peristome.

No peltate tendril signs yet. . . I admit the peristome is surprisingly skinny on my plant.

Yeah, mine looks nothing like either of those plants; glabrous, no sign of truncate leaves...actually, the plant on the side of the pot looks more similar to mine (which I got straight from the source greenhouse) than the plant in the middle that I assume the pitcher pictured earlier came from, which looks more like a truncata or maybe robc hybrid.

Interesting. . . Can I see a pic of yours?

Also I would imagine that the genes of these two species would produce some rather variable offspring.

Last edited:
Sorry for the wait, here's my plant:
N. rajah x jacquelineae by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

It looks roughly like a giant version of a really young rajah, with the more elongate leaves than pure rajah would have at this point and that really wide peristome that starts showing in the jamban complex at this age. No speckles, no serious teeth, and not really any discernibly distinct indumentum.

Interesting. Our plants certainly do have a number of differences. I still maintain that mine is also the hybrid in question - we'll see how it looks as it gets older. As I would imagine from the widely different genes between the two parent species that the offspring could/would be highly variable. If our plants are indeed siblings it seems yours is clearly leaning towards the N. jacquelineae side of things and mine might be a little more on the N. rajah side of things.

EDIT: I spoke with Jeremiah and he doesn't think it is N. rajah x jacquelineae either. So now I have a mystery plant.

Last edited:
I never thought much of N. campanulata but after Zu gave me so many sweet campy hybrids they have really started to grow on me, especially this one. N. (lowii x vetchii) x campanulata

This one's interesting too. . . N. boschiana x campanulata

N. burbidgeae x glandulifera

D. regia

What's that weed growing in the pot of your D. Regia? If you know of course.

You know I am not sure, but I think it is a seedling of a local indigenous plant.

Low-key hyped over the arrival of the newest member of the family: N. lingulata

I'm hoping this N. attenboroughii retains the green coloration on both its leaves and pitchers as it grows older.

H. ionasii x heterodoxa

A couple of D. regia

Kind of in love with this pitcher. N. boschiana x campanulata

My 7+ year old D. capensis that I originally purchased from www.flytrapshop.com recovering from its annual aphid attack - ready for spring growth.

Babies!!

That N. Lingulata is amazing! Those pitchers look like they've been through a fire they're so black!!

I love lingulata; dark colors are always my thing, but the silvery contrast of the indumentum makes it even better. And now that my variegated seedling is actually getting somewhere....

Love the bosch x campy too, it carries over a lot of the female color and that shape fits so well, very nice.

I love lingulata; dark colors are always my thing, but the silvery contrast of the indumentum makes it even better. And now that my variegated seedling is actually getting somewhere....

Love the bosch x campy too, it carries over a lot of the female color and that shape fits so well, very nice.

Yeah I don't know how I didn't notice how awesome lingulata was before I saw this plant. Now it's easily one of my favorite species!

The boschcamp hybrid is a real knockout combo of genes. It's a really vigorous plant, growing in leaps and bounds. I think I'm going to sell it at a local festival this summer.

This is your conductor speaking: "The Hype-train will arrive on time to terminal: Dex's terrarium."

Just jumping up the count of jacquelineae genes within my jurisdiction. N. rajah x jacquelineae

and the ever-promising N. jacquelineae x truncata

+

OMG

D. murfetii

Last edited:
N. glandulifera x burbidgeae

I totally agree that the N. boschiana x campanulata is a real looker. Shapely, almost hand-painted color and a big, sturdy lid. I'm still bowled over by that crazy-cool red sphagnum!

Back