What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adventures of an Alaskan Nepenthes Farmer

Dexenthes

Aristoloingulamata
Just spent a good long while separating out D. capensis and then extending my growing area by a bit. My goal is to sell a number of D. capensis at a local festival this summer if not sooner. While I was at it I decided to move my S. 'Reptilian Rose' from out of the basement to indoors under the lights. I am giving it an early start on spring. I hope this doesn't mess with it too much! I have such a bad history with Sarracenia and this is one of the only Sarracenia I truly want, it's already survived longer than most of the others.... My collection is growing again! :mwahaha:

This thread is going to serve as my photo update thread for all of the various aspects of my carnivorous plant collection. I will no longer be updating my Nepenthes thread, but if, for whatever reason, you feel the need to look through all of the previous years of my Nepenthes shenanigans you can view that old thread here:

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?highlight=Dexenthes+Nepenthes

Last edited by a moderator:
Now those are some good sized D. capensis! lol

Nice looking D. capensis! Good luck with the Sarracenia too!

^^ Thanks guys :)

So things are slowly expanding, just wanted to share what my collection is turning into.

This is my oldest D. capensis, I'm pretty sure I bought it from Andy way-back-when. This is the parent of all the other seedlings, a really good investment!

Some of the newly divided dews are starting to dew up finally.

Just as a note, the substrate I used for these Drosera is not the same, a couple of the plants I planted in peat/vermiculite/sphagnum, and those appear to be dewing up nicely and growing well. Almost all the plants that I planted in the other mix (Coco fiber?/vermiculite) have not really started putting dew on their leaves. The coco fiber was sold as a reptile husbandry substrate that edible grass was supposed to grow in. I am not sure if it had an additives in it so, this is kind of a risk. I don't want these results to scare anyone from using coco as a substrate, but there is a noticeable difference in these plants. There are factors to be accounted for too, like perhaps it is just the water retention capabilities of sphagnum and peat compared to coco, or perhaps it had to do with that I potted up the largest healthiest plants in the peat and sphagnum first and slowly moved onto smaller scrawnier plants in the other mix. Either way, only one fatality so far.

And I just sewed 100 more D. capensis seeds. Moar D. capensis moar!!! :mwahaha:

My outdoor bog is shaping up nicely. I really hope that our weather stays as mild as it has. If there are any large freezes then this whole shindig could be up...!

I just received some very nice Darlingtonia today that went straight in, there are some S. leucophylla plants in there as well as D. rotundifolia, D. anglica, P. vulgaris and some other native plants. I'm hoping it will really pop once spring comes around. I might even try to find some temperate Aldrovanda to put in the aquatic portion?

Super impressed with the size of these Darlingtonia though, I've got one of them in the pot so that I can easily move it if some terrible cold front comes in or something.

A look into my modest tropical highland habitat.

Some exciting (for me) pitcher production.

U. longifolia getting long

This sight makes me very happy.

My germination chamber/Nepenthes day care center is coming along. . .

And lastly, a couple of cousins. I love the family resemblance.

Is your U. longifolia in a cut down whisky bottle.
Also I'm interested in how your bog turns out I'm going to build one soon

Is your U. longifolia in a cut down whisky bottle.
Also I'm interested in how your bog turns out I'm going to build one soon

Well... it's not whiskey. It was a hempseed liquor called Purgatory, really interesting booze actually.

That's pretty cool how did u cut it

I used a glass bottle cutter, its a pretty simple device, I bet a quick internet search could locate one.

Fascinating successes in a not entirely plant-friendly environment. Good job.

damn you, such a good looking collection. esp those Darlingtonia and Cephalotus!!

That bog is gorgeous! What is that container and what type of medium (other than that LSM) is in it? :D

damn you, such a good looking collection. esp those Darlingtonia and Cephalotus!!

Well, I deserve no credit for the Darlingtonia. Now is just the beginning of their stay with me. But the Cephalotus is the result of years of patience, I will admit that.

That bog is gorgeous! What is that container and what type of medium (other than that LSM) is in it? :D

Thanks!

The container is just a big black tub that I purchased at my local hardware store. I imagine you could find a similar one at a hardware store in your area. As far as medium goes, I used exclusively Sphagnum. That is a luxury that I can afford to take.

Damn, all that sphagnum must of costed a lot :ohno:

Do you think Id be able to do something similar with peatmoss/perlite with LSM ontop, or would problems Im not realizing arise from this?

I really want to make a big bog like that for my Sarracenia lol

No I think your hypothetical blend will probably work just fine.

N. cecilae x pulchra(?) x ?

N. spectabilis x singalana

N. talangensis x glandulifera

A couple of new comers to the neighborhood -

It got sort of beat up in shipping, but hopefully will recover.

N. glabrata x aristolochioides

A lot a bit of an impulse buy, but I've never owned either parent's DNA before, the price was right, and it is sort of handsome in a way.

N. spathulata x dubia

Really hoping these two can bounce back and become something awesome!

D. regia

Despite its miniature size, this plant continues to be mature and become more impressive.

N. singalana x hamata

N. spectabilis x singalana

N. robcantleyi x hamata fully darkened up

Latest N. singalana x hamata pitcher

D. regia, doing work, putting on size.

I received this N. glandulifera with a black and mushy growth tip. It looked like it was in very rough shape and not gonna make it when I unpackaged it. Here it is though, now, and it appears to be in good health! Just goes to show sometimes you should not lose hope!

It has even retained the pitcher that it came with during shipping.

The largest seedling of my plants that originate from Mt. Mingan. "N affin. sibuyanensis" Very closely related to the speculatively newly named species N. tenuidon?

My N. attenboroughii's very first stripe! :water:

S. 'Reptilian Rose' first pitcher for me this season.

A good looking VFT putting work into this coming season

I received this plant in a trade recently and I must say it is easily the smallest plant I have ever received or seen traded before. I almost didn't see it in the bag it was in. BUT, it does appear to be actually growing, so if this thing makes it it will set a few personal records for me. Very excited though, probably my favorite Pinguicula that I have yet to grow til now. P. laueana

Begonia fuschioides

Sea of dew . . .

Last edited:
I like the big patch of D. capensis plants and the little D.regias look to be doing wonderfully!

Thanks Mark, I feel the same way! :D

N. burbidgeae x glandulifera A very slow grower

Begonia from Randy

N. cecilae x pulchra (?)

N. rajah x jacquelineae

N. sp. "Mt. Mingan"

The bog's finally waking up.

First bloom of the season

Back