What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP Vivarium

Thank you everyone for all the help! Just to make sure i have it all clear. I get a planting pot with peat and perlite. I do a 50/50 mix with these and put the plant inside near a lot of light. I water the plant whenever the soil gets a little dry (i would guess every other day ish?) and that should be good for set up am i correct?

Then since these are CP do you need to feed them or do they not NEED it? If so whats a good food for sundews? Thanks again

They don't need to be fed, but some people like the benefit of regular feeding. I personally don't put that much effort into my dews :p

As for watering, I almost exclusively grow by the "tray method" which is simply keeping your pots in a tray of standing water. Reduces any need to directly water and most of the easy growing species are fine being that consistently wet.

Last edited:
For the tons of light if i put it in front of an open window that gets light most of the morning and most of the day would it be okay? or would more light be needed. Me being in Illinois, the winters are cold and in spring a rain storm happens most days. Would this be good for them?

Also can anyone please tell me what soil and water they use? I have heard many people saying they use different kinds and want to know what is the best. Also how often do CP need to be replanted? Thanks for all the help again

Hi Nick, just be careful when putting a terrarium in direct Sun light as the temperatures tends to shoot up quite rapidly. If you do put it in the sun make sure you can control the heat with fan's etc.

Here are some photos of my mini terrarium. It's not much but the plants grow quite well in it :-D
IMG_20150317_190321869.jpg

IMG_20150317_190340212_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150317_190357900_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for all the help! Just to make sure i have it all clear. I get a planting pot with peat and perlite. I do a 50/50 mix with these and put the plant inside near a lot of light. I water the plant whenever the soil gets a little dry (i would guess every other day ish?) and that should be good for set up am i correct?

Then since these are CP do you need to feed them or do they not NEED it? If so whats a good food for sundews? Thanks again

A good tip that I have picked from the forums and a lot of the websites is to rinse your peat with RO/Distilled/purified water. This removes a lot of minerals and other unwanted stuff from the peat. I use a TDS meter to check my water after every rinse (I leave my peat to soak for about 20+hours depending how busy I am) and usually rinse my peat for about 4-7 days depending on the quality of the peat itself. You don't have to go crazy like that but rinsing will definitely benefit your plants in the long run.

A lot of the plants can stand in a tray of water permanently, but that also depends on your growing conditions, Pot size, plant health etc. What you can do is add water to the tray that they are standing in and let the tray dry out before adding again. You will learn over time what your plants like and don't like.

Last edited:
Thank you for the help everyone. I plan on picking some dews up soon and having them in separate pots until i think more about the vivarium. Im going to put them on a tray, most likely by the window ( if they look okay keep them there, if not move them). For the soil you guys have said peat moss. Since i have my expirence with dart frogs i have a lot of eco earth. Does anyone know if this works or do i need peat moss? Thank you.

I wouldn't recommend using Eco Earth. That being said I have on a few occasions seen CPs grown in coconut fiber based substrates. However, sundews probably won't like it even in the best of conditions, and a great deal of coconut fiber products have high salt content and will straight up kill CPs. Sticking to peat or sphagnum moss is best.

Like W03 said, you can use coconut fiber based substrates as well. I've got some plants growing in Coco peat. My biggest problem with coco peat is that it takes a lot of effort to remove the dissolvable solids from it. I ended up boiling the coco peat repeatedly after rinsing it for about a week.
I do like how airy/fluffy the substrate is though, and the plants seem to love it as well.

(Growing these plants on my grow-rack, the one Venusta is recovering from insects that munched it)
IMG_20150323_073510674.jpg

IMG_20150323_073519722.jpg

IMG_20150323_073528091_HDR.jpg

Sorry for such a late response. I am still looking into the sundews. Is there any other information you guys would suggest me knowing? Thanks again

Hi,

Did you have a read through all the links that were posted earlier? Good info located on those sites.
All you need to do now is buy some sphagnum peat, silica sand, water, pots, and some Dews and start growing :bigthumpup:

Back