What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remember the terrarium I started out with...

Well I am a little embarrassed that it has taken me this long to replant the CP's of this planter... but what a mess it was under the moss...

Here is what it looked like a couple of days after I got it..

So this is what it looked like after I removed the plants... It started growing mushrooms..

this is what was under the moss...

Very little soil if any...just the leaves...

The vft looks ok... the sundew is good.. the pitcher plant actually looks really bad..it started to mold I think.. a lot of it turned brown..and seemed to get fuzzy

If you look at the top of the flower head you can see the fuzz in the bottom corner..

So now I have the plants soaking in some distilled water to clean the roots...They were mainly growing in the moss... Tomorrow.. I am going to put them in a new pot and soil... I just have a question...

Should I put the Long Fiber Sphagnum moss in the bottom & sides of the container? or just the top?

Thanks for all your help,
Denise

Bottom and sides. You could use it exclusively. New Zealand sphagnum is the way to go. All my plants had growth increase using it.

I prefer a mix of peat/sand for these types of plants, but at the very least I put LFS at the bottom mostly to keep it from leaking out the pots.

I've had moderate success with subtropical Drosera in pure LFS with some live Sphag on top (although it didn't last long) but I've never done it for VFTs or Sarracenia.

OK.. so here is an update.. Potted them this morning... Let me know what you think...

Some spares..

So do you think I have given them enough room to grow?

Also wanted to know if I should cut off the dying pitchers?

Thanks for all your help,
Denise

Last edited:
Hey Denise, what type of pots are the large ones...are they glazed on the inside too? Might want to make sure as sometimes unglazed pots, particularly if they are terracotta based, will leach nasty dissolved solids. I've made that mistake.

You can trim dying pitchers, although a lot of people recommend leaving anything that is green since it's probably still photosynthesizing at least.

The spares might be ok short term but don't leave a lot of room for root growth. Might be hard to water consistently as well. You can find all sorts of plastic pots online for not that much. Another place to look is that sometimes garden centers and nurseries recycle old pots and they generally let you take them for free. You just need to make sure you rinse them well to remove old soil, fertilizer, etc.

Otherwise, they look good! :D

Last edited:
Dunno about the egg-carton bit. It's probably going to fall apart on you after only a handful of waterings. If you can't find pots on short notice, get ahold of a small tupperware and cut / melt (with a lighter) some drainage holes in the bottom.

The Sarracenia may actually like being in an orchid pot (I'm guessing those indentations on the sides go all the way through?). I use them for my nepenthes, but never considered it for the Sarrs. You still have some healthy-looking leaves on it though, so as long as there were some healthy roots, it will probably pull through. Fresh air and sunshine should hopefully take out whatever mold was trying to grow (I couldn't see it in the other pic :scratch:)

Good luck.

Hey Denise, what type of pots are the large ones...are they glazed on the inside too? Might want to make sure as sometimes unglazed pots, particularly if they are terracotta based, will leach nasty dissolved solids. I've made that mistake.
Otherwise, they look good! :D

The Orchid pot is glazed on the inside... The clay pots have no glaze on them inside or out... Is it a bad idea to plant in clay pots? I just picked up a couple more... is it better to get clay pots glazed on inside and out?

So is it best to plant in plastic pots?

Thank you so much for all the advise...

Last edited:
Dunno about the egg-carton bit. It's probably going to fall apart on you after only a handful of waterings. If you can't find pots on short notice, get ahold of a small tupperware and cut / melt (with a lighter) some drainage holes in the bottom.

The Sarracenia may actually like being in an orchid pot (I'm guessing those indentations on the sides go all the way through?). I use them for my nepenthes, but never considered it for the Sarrs. You still have some healthy-looking leaves on it though, so as long as there were some healthy roots, it will probably pull through. Fresh air and sunshine should hopefully take out whatever mold was trying to grow (I couldn't see it in the other pic :scratch:)

Good luck.

The egg carton thing was just available... planting our garden seed in there... (Didn't have any little pots)

That is an orchid pot... I put LFS inside and up the sides to keep the soil in... thought I would try it... I like that pot.. I hope it works..

Thanks again..Denise

Back