What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Choosing Growlights

I am looking to buy some growlights for some of my plants, as their windows do not seem to be providing enough light for them to grow as best as they can. I would like to use compact fluorescent lights. How do you know whether or not lights will provide adequate lighting for plants?

Will these lights provide the correct spectrum for plants to be able to photosynthesize? http://www.amazon.com/GE-Lights-Flo...434&sr=1-1&keywords=GE+CFL+Flowering+Spectrum

These particular lights do not seem to be officially marketed as grow lights, but I have read that most fluorescent lights can apparently be used for plants. Any information or advice on this will be appreciated. This is my first time even looking into growlights, I have only grown plants indoors or outside using the sun so far.

What type of plants will these be utilized for? Those should be fine for a few plants & need to be arranged close to them. If your looking for the A19 type of bulb then you also have much better options as well. I would go for the CFL Floodlights. They use less energy & put out more lumens. I have had good results with them in the past before I started using T5HO, power compacts, & metal halide. You can also go for led A19 bulbs (more $$$).

Heres an example of the floodlight: http://www.amazon.com/GE-Lighting-2...2253150&sr=1-5&keywords=cfl+flood+light+bulbs

(inside of the floodlight itself will be a cfl bulb that looks like the one you linked to)

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, Knuckles. The lights would be used for a few planter bowls filled with various Drosera, Sarracenia Psittacina, and some USA-native Pinguicula species. I have some extra desk lamps, so I was hoping to find something that would fit in those. The plants receive 4-6 hours of direct or slightly shaded sunlight each day, but in the windows they are in, it does not seem to be enough for robust and fast growth like my other plants. I just want to give them 2-6 hours of extra light to help them be healthier.

I took a look at that lightbulb you linked, I found some smaller CFL lights that have 1650 lumens. So I guess any CFL bulb should at least help a bit?

Has anyone here tried blue, red, or soft white lights? If so, what has worked best for you?

No problem.

Yes, any cfl will help. I'll let others chime in with their experience but from mine: blue /green spectrum lights produce better growth whereas red spectrum lights are better for flowering; however, I've used both & had nepenthes flower just fine under bluish white color temp lights.

The blue spectrum is great for growing. More energy from blue.

The general rule that I stick to is using two T5HO bulbs that have a rating of
6500K. It can pretty much grow anything youre looking to get, and with enough of them
there will be plenty of light to spare.

I use Three 6500K bulbs, and one 5000K bulb.
5000K also helps with coloring. I have been told that a good mix of both spectrums are good for the plants.

(But for good all around plant lighting, I stick anywhere between 6000-6500K)

hid-bulb-colour-temperature-chart.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys. I am now debating between CFL and LED lighting. Does anyone here have any opinions on CFL vs LED lighting?

LED has many advantages over CFL. Ive been using LEDs for years on corals/plants & have constructed a few fixtures as well. Off the top of my head without getting very specific I know that LED produces less heat, has a far better lifespan (meaning they consistently have high output & do not have to be replaced 1-2x per yr), they use less energy than a cfl of equal wattage, a smaller wattage of leds put out the same amount of light as higher wattage & larger CFL fixtures for sure, hmm.... what else :scratch:... theyre tougher & look nicer in my opinion :water: Theyre just more expensive as fixtures is all I can think of as a downside. BUT a couple of A19 led bulbs use any regular lightbulb fixture so that shouldn't dent your wallet.

hope that helps some

Does anyone else have experience with leds for plants?

Thanks for your input, Knuckles, it definitely helps. I have read a lot about LEDs vs CFL bulbs, but most of what I find is related to a different kind of plant. :p

Last edited:
By all means, please continue this discussion. I'm interested to see where it goes because I'm desperate to find better lighting for my little terrarium. My current housing situation does not allow for a whole lot of intrusive lighting installments.

Pretty much as knuckles said, LED is the way of the future. They last longer, and are a bit safer I would venture to say as well.

I however stick with tubes because they are very easy maintenance and repairs. LED is very expensive when you really get into it.
However, i have no in depth experience with them..

I went with compact CFL lights, mainly because of cost. I have two adjustable desk lamps I can put them into as well. I will let everyone know how this setup works.

I agree with the above poster, please do continue the discussion. I looked into LEDs in-depth, but found so much contradictory information on various brands and their effectiveness. It would be great to have a single source or thread with experience reports from people with different brands of all types of lighting.

Hi Folks,

Not to hijack this thread about choosing growlights, but I have a question re: disposal of spent growlights, specifically fluorescent tubes. I've been growing carnivorous plants for a bit over a year now and am in the process of buying replacement bulbs. Now I wonder "wtf do I do with all these old 4-foot long tubes?!" My first thought was to contact the local hazardous waste disposal facility. Is this what you folks do?

Radagast, that is a very good question that I have never heard anyone ask before. I believe many just toss out old bulbs & tubes which, in great numbers, can cause significant pollutants to be released especially when most everything ends up in a landfill or incinerator.
While working for a the education/govt. sector we had a hazardous waste removal program where we would accumulate spent bulbs, tvs, computer monitors, and cleaning chemicals 2x per year to be properly disposed of by a professional company for a fee.

Today this is what I do & what I suggest that everyone does: Place all spent bulbs carefully in a box as time goes by & on your next voyage to the local chain hardware stores take your bulbs in to have them recycled properly at no cost to you. Not all, but many home depots offer this service & it is usually not advertised where I live.

Thanks for the question. I'm sure it will benefit everyone.

Last edited:
Thanks guys :)

Personally I would suggest something that is good for growth and also view ability. Is it true that you can maximize light to cost ratio by choosing very pinkish grow lights...? yes. However, I find those very obnoxious. I rather prefer lights that I can enjoy seeing my plants under...but still provide all the wavelengths needed. The typical 5000K or 6500K daylight spectrum lights work fine. You can pretty much grow everything with them. You just need to vary the number of bulbs, type of bulbs, power based on the distance they will be from the lights and what species you are looking to grow.

Back