What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recommend a Quality Greenhouse

I'm in the market for a greenhouse. I'm wondering if you guys could recommend a quality maker ? What are you guys using? nd what would you recommend I stay away from? The size I'm looking for is at least 10 feet wide, 14 at the max and somewhere between 16-20 feet long.

Looking forward to your suggestions,

thanks

-Jess

Stay away from Harbor Freight kits. Cheap. Horrible.

What is your budget??

Last edited:
My budget for just the GH (not including the other needed equipment) is no more 4500. I'll be staying far away from the HB ones I've read some pretty bad reviews on those.

Anyone have experience with those Rion GH's? they look rather nice.

Also I was looking at the Palram snap n grow? They look somewhat nice.

Last edited:
Hi,
You can check out Farmtek or Oregon Valley Greenhouses. I have experience building hoop-houses with pvc pipe and 6-mil woven poly. The woven poly is ok for a few years and then starts to get worn out and may start to flake or shed plastic bits. This method is rather inexpensive and easy but with drawbacks.

With your budget I would build one out of 2x4s and corrugated plastic panels. Perhaps even nice rigid double walled greenhouse sheeting if budget allows.

I have a Palram 8x12 that I'm very happy with. Very solid structure. Mine has withstood winds to 36-40 mph with only a little vibration. My wife even ran over one of the panels in the garage when I was assembling it with only a minor blemish!

Stay away from Harbor Freight kits. Cheap. Horrible.

Not horrible; many people use them. You don't seem to like Harbor Freight greenhouses. I know for a fact that Eric Morrow uses one for his Sarracenia, and Matt Miller uses one for his flytraps, and both of them like theirs.

Perhaps they wouldn't be good for Nepenthes and other tropicals, but they are very good for temperate carnivores.

Flip_Side_the_Pint, with a budget of 4500, you'll be easily able to find something good. I know a hydroponic lettuce grower who grows year round in a 50 x 17 foot greenhouse he got as a kit for 2000 dollars. If you can build one yourself, you'll get even more bang for your buck.

Rion makes good greenhouses. 8x20 with twinwall for 2500 bucks isn't bad at all.

And, before anyone asks, I'm speaking for some owners of these greenhouses who use them for year-round lettuce and tomato growing, not Nepenthes growers.

Let us know what you decide to do or go with Flip :) im eager to see how itll look and how good it is for yr plants :) :)

P.s: hows yr VFTs growing :) im keeping an eye out for photos and updates :D

Back