What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

keeping indoor plants watered while on vacation??

Hey all, I have an indoor setup that i'm worried about drying out while on vacation for 10 days. I simply have pots/trays set in those large aluminum cooking pans. Im worried all of it will evaporate while im gone, since the water level drops noticeably after a couple days. I know a terrarium setup would be ideal, and plan on it in the future. But for the meantime does anyone know of any creative ways to keep the water level up in the trays while im gone??? :-( I can post pics if needed

No neighbor who can come in halfway through and fill the trays?

Will work for trays. You'll have to run trials to see how much reserve you will need for 10 days. You could always float like Styrofoam peanuts on the water in the trays to cut down some of the evaporation.

http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq3390.html

Mythbusters had an awesome gravity fed self-watering system using watering timers. Look for the 2014 episode 5 "Do Try This at Home".

02-mb-try-this-home-622x447.jpg

Attachments

• 02-mb-try-this-home-622x447.jpg
    02-mb-try-this-home-622x447.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
If possible, might try lowering the household temps. If the plants are under lights, decrease the photoperiod. This slows plants down so they will use less water during that time.

Use a bubbler system. Take a big gallon jug, fill with water, make a small hole where you want the water level to be, and sit it in the tray. If the water level drops below the level of the hole, water will flow out until the hole is covered and no air can get in.

W03 has a great idea ive used it before when feeding my cat when id leave or be out late and it worked well :) of course you could test it out to see how much water would be needed for 10days at the table level your plants require cause to high a hole will cause ur plants to drowned or flood. Goodluck

Back