What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some upgrades

Well today I went out and got some new domes.

4617d24c22b1a75de77413cd4e3fefa0.jpg

1882a5f8ef270de9a1e7acdf311c04a8.jpg

The first one has, a log inoculated with p Stipticus which is pinning, 2 nepethes pups, and bags of growing peat moss.

The second one is awaiting seeds.

This is a work in progress I plan to get more plants tomorrow and get a shelf for these to sit on.

Inside the white bottomed dome it is 25.2 and 81%RH atm.

Cool. Could you tell me more about your P. stipticus? Isn't that the famous glowing mushroom?

That would be unfortunately it's a bit like trying to take a picture of glow in the dark things, most cameras won't pick up that type of light so I cant get night pictures because I'm using the camera on my phone. Anything you wanna know ask away

I've never grown mushrooms before so I guess my questions are going to be awfully vague and unhelpful: 1.) Where do you get them? 2.) How do you grow them? Haha...I've done some research online since viewing your photo and I cannot find anything to help me figure this out. Would be cool to have a little colony of those growing in a mason jar on my grow rack.

Ahaha okay, so I cheated. I'll let you in on a few secrets here. First I got a bunch of spawn plugs off eBay, these are kinda expensive for what you actually get. Then you go find an oak tree and cut a branch off that isn't too wide to fit into a mason jar. Then saw up the log into discs , drill holes in these discs and seal with wax. So this is pretty much the same as how you grow then outside. Then I literally treated the jar as I would have outside. I made a special jar for growing other types of mushrooms with a filter on it.. that's how I cheated lol. It was basically a "SHIP ,PF poly filter jar" for your googling . Then I left it for ever with the jar sealed this is called the spawn run. Next up I took the top off and placed into what's called a fruiting chamber , I dunked the log in tap water for 24 hours held under by a plate. My humidity dome with plants is a much better fruiting chamber altho its not sterile like fruiting chambers are suppose to be. This species is very contamination resistant. You can get this species from a few places depends how much you want and how much your willing to pay

Back