What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Humidity box?

Sup all, i want to build a small box type construction to put outside, and increase humidity within it
my problem is, last time i tried this, i ended up frying everything inside of the box, and it seems to me, the only way to counter that would be to ventilate it really well.. which would also ruin the humidity.

I already have materials i can use for construction... some builders film (i think that's what it's called), and for now, i will probably construct the frame just out of bamboo to see how it goes, and for now, i'll probably make it approximately 1x1x1 meters large, and will mostly be used to culture sphagnum moss, and possibly seedlings.

anyway, anyone have any suggestions on how i could build this to increase humidity inside substantially, without absolutely frying everything inside in the process?

thanks

What's your climate like?

Indirect sun works better for sphagnum where I am, got an aquarium cube that sits near a shaded windowsill that's doing very well. Humidity is maintained just by keeping half a cm of water in the bottom.

Got some sphagnum in my greenhouse as well, but it's not doing quite as well. Suspect the sun might be too strong, so it's a balancing act between keeping it unburnt and the neps happy. Greenhouse has automated misters and ventilation, so probably not what you're looking for.

Same climate as you my friend, my best cultures last year were in direct sun most of the day, with some shading... at some point in the day, not sure exactly what sort of lighting profile it receives

my sphagnum mostly took a turn for the worst in the winter aside from one very sparse culture that i had in more shade, and had much higher walls, though that culture seems to grow much more slowly than the ones in direct sun, it seems untouched by whatever caused the other ones to turn south
here's the only pic i could find of them recently
http://puu.sh/ke7wN/83bf05a398.jpg
as you cans ee, alot of it has darkened... i think alot of the browned stuff isn't actually totally dead, but has been effected somehow, there is some dead stuff also. (you can compare the pic to the ones in this thread i made last year on FTC sphagnum growth observations : Water Quality, Growing Media and Planting Containers - Page 2)

anyway, i was hoping to recreate the high humidity of the shaded culture, with more reasonable light exposure, and hopefully get more luscious growth (the stuff in my FTC post looks pretty good, but it's nowhere near as like, long green growth sort of deal as when it arrived from the seller)

i'll probably update that FTC post tomorrow with new photos too

In winter the sun is very strong in some places even though the heat isn't noticeable lol! And can scorch lfs to a white broken color like its been bleached.. Some may grow back others will die off. This could be why its that color but this is just a guess from my experience.

hm, it doesn't look like any sun damage i've seen before.

Back